Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Thunderbolt cable to transfer files from a mac to a Mac Mini Server

I want to transfer a large document folder of files from a MacBook Pro (MBP) to a Mac Mini Server (MMS) using Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt cable. How?

Currently both the MBP and MMS are on the same Wireless-N network.

Obviously the Mac Mini Server cannot be booted in Target-Drive mode because there are other users using it as a server.

Both computers installed OS X Mavericks 10.9.1.

MAC MINI SERVER (LATE 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 5:00 PM

6 replies

Feb 2, 2014 5:30 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan, you are so funny. Thanks. But I really want to be more ambitious.

I can do it now in Finders via WiFi or Ethernet. I think my question can be more specific to refer to Thunderbolt Bridge mode in the Systems Preferences > Network. Say, I can turn off WiFi on the MacBook Pro and leave the Thunderbolt cable connected with the Mac Mini Server. If it works it must be the Thunderbolt Bridge working. I can try (as a proof of concept, but I need to buy the Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable and if it's not working, I can return the cable to Apple Store) but I wish someone has the hands-on experience to share with me.:-)

Feb 3, 2014 3:48 PM in response to Ivan H

Update:

Thunderbolt Bridge is the ultimate solution (on OS X Mavericks 10.9.1). It gives amazing speed transferring files without downtime on the source and target computers (in my case the MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini Server). Up to 7 times faster in writing and 30 times faster in reading than Wireless N!

My Settings: Systems Preferences > Network > Set Service Order ... and drag the Thunderbolt Bridge as the top Service (and thus above Ethernet and Wi-Fi), click OK and Apply. I only set it on the source computer (MacBook Pro) but you may try to set both.

Then connect the two computers with the Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt Cable and wait for about 15 seconds till they get the Self-Assigned IP addresses. From the Network Preferences page, you'll see the Thunderbolt Bridge rises to the top on BOTH computers. (The button remains amber, not green. It's okay.) Then you can start file transfer from the source computer (e.g. using Finder or an app such as TuneSpan to locate the target location on the target computer).

User uploaded file

To play save, I use BlackMagic to test the connection speed before starting the real transfer. I found that sometimes I don't need to turn off the WiFi on the source computer (MacBook Pro) but turning WiFi off on the source computer gives me a peace in mind.

See what I got:

From the Thunderbolt Bridge:

User uploaded file

From WiFi using Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac on Wireless-N:

User uploaded file

Note: After you finished the file transfer, Turn back on the Wi-Fi and Eject the target folder from the source computer before unplugging the Thunderbolt-to-Thunderbolt cable.

May 9, 2014 12:49 AM in response to Ivan H

I found that sometimes I don't need to turn off the WiFi on the source computer (MacBook Pro) but turning WiFi off on the source computer gives me a peace in mind.

I always have to turn off WiFi in order to force the transfer to go through the thunderbolt-cable. Setting thunderbolt-bridge as the top service in the network system preferences did not help.

Do you or does anyone else have a solution for giving thunderbolt top priority?

It's not very elegant to turn off WiFi for every file transfer, turn it on again for internet access, turn it off for file transfer, ...

May 29, 2014 7:16 PM in response to myon

In deed, I don't need to turn off WiFi in order to use Thunderbolt Bridge. But I find that the Thunderbolt Bridge doesn't establish automatically when Systems Preferences are not on Network on both Macs before plugging in the Thunderbolt cable.

So, my practice has been to:

1. Open Network of System Preferences on both computer;

2. Connect both Macs by the THunderbolt cable;

3. Wait until Thunderbolt Bridge moves up to top of the connection pane on both Network (wiht Self-Assigned IP and an amber light (instead of red or green)). It may need to wait from a few to 30 seconds in my experience;

4. Open 2 Finders windows from the "Transfer From" Mac;

5. Locate and copy the source files and folders on one Finder window, and set the target location on the destination Mac and paste the files and folders. Repeat this step when needed.

Use Thunderbolt cable to transfer files from a mac to a Mac Mini Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.