Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to identify and delete multiple duplicate photos

How to identify and delete multiple duplicate photos in iPhoto.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 9:05 PM

7 replies

Feb 10, 2016 8:29 PM in response to LarryHN

Hello, I have accumulated lots of similar looking photos due to recovering iPhoto library and other reasons. Now my Mac Mini PPC is almost full to capacity, I really want to make some space. How can I identify the photos I should keep from the duplicates which I would like to trash? Finding a program that works with PPC rather than Intel is proving difficult. Thanks, Tony.

Feb 10, 2016 11:51 PM in response to LarryHN

Doesn't appear to offer this facility, unless I am incapable of finding it.

If no ppc program available. Could I import the photos into iPhoto on my Macbookpro Pro, then use a duplicate zapping program on it? That way I could delete photos on Mac Mini to free up disk space without worrying about losing photos I want to keep. If I can do this, what is the best way to connect the Mac Mini 1st Gen. to the 2011 Macbookpro Pro? Thanks, Tony.

Feb 11, 2016 9:05 AM in response to J A Paton

I'm not clear on what you want

You can not move your library to a new system and work on it there then move it back

You can move it to a new system and keep it there deleting it form the old system - to do that use an external hard drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) or connect the two systems together and drag the library intact from the old system to the new system - what you do next depends on what undisclosed software you have on the new system

LN

Feb 11, 2016 10:02 PM in response to LarryHN

Unless I can get older software like iPhoto diet or suchlike to work with ppc, then it looks like exporting to macbookpro, then using duplicate zapper software would solve the issue of duplicates, while freeing up disk space on old Mac mini. The question is how best to do this? FireWire? It's a long time since I've moved a lot of stuff from one computer to another without doing so from old to brand new computer, which really didn't require much thought. Thanks, Tony.

p.s. realise can't go back and forward between different versions of iPhoto, which is a bit of a nuisance but mustn't grumble.

Feb 11, 2016 10:48 PM in response to J A Paton

To move an iPhoto Library to a new machine:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network,Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch iPhoto. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

How to identify and delete multiple duplicate photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.