Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon Pixma MP640 wireless set up doesn't work (MB OSX 10.6.8)

I have tried to connect my MP640 printer over WiFi but my computer (MB 2007, Snow Leopard 10.6.8) still cannot find it. I can add the MP640 of the "Bonjour-Scanner" kind when I click on the "+" button and also print via USB with no problems.

This is what I have already tried after reading countless threads:
- found my network on the printer, inserted password and logged in. It now says the connection is active, the "WiFi" LED is on and also my router can see the device connected.
- reset the printing system under Settings > Print and Fax, deleted the old driver folder "Mac HD>Library>Canon>BJ Printer", installed the new Canon driver (10.86.2) +IJ Networ Tool (v 4.3.0), reboot.
- still only the "Bonjour Scanner" visible when I tried to add the printer. As I have also been advised, I removed Paralells into the trash including the "Mac HD>Library>Paralells" folder, emptied the trash.
- unplugged and plugged the printer several times, reset the router.
- changed IPv6 to IPv4 in the settings on the printer
- connected the printer via USB, visible and able to print. Got into the network settings, tried to connect after unplugging the cable. Still only the Scanner visible, not the printer

- allowed the the connection for the Canon IJ Network tool and Printer application under my Firewall settings.

Does anyone have an idea, what else I could try? I have now spent almost the whole weekend with no results, so it is starting to get me crazy a bit.

I will greatly appreciate any help. Many thanks in advance!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 11:48 PM

5 replies

Feb 3, 2014 1:27 PM in response to a brody

a brody: thanks. I had followed these instructions exactly, but with no success so far. My problem is on p.21, when the IJ network tool starts searching for the printer as described but won't find it. Then I get a list of available access points, one of them is my network in which also my printer is connected. I go on "connect" and it still finds nothing. I get a window saying "set printer's IP adress", with all fields already filled correctly with printer's and router's IP. Then I press connect it starts searching again, but still nothing found. I really don't know what else to try. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 3, 2014 10:05 PM in response to bohusmichalko

The printer driver component uses a Canon protocol to advertise the device on the network, while the scanner component uses Bonjour. The latter will appear in view quickly while the printer component can take several seconds longer to appear. So select to add again and wait with the Default view selected. If the printer does not appear, showing canonijnetwork in the Kind column, then something has gone wrong with the printer driver installation, which adds the components needed to locate the printer on the network.

Note also that since you can see the scanner component on the network, you don't have a network issue with the MP640. So don't waste your time with the Canon IJ Network Tool.

Feb 4, 2014 9:49 AM in response to PAHU

PAHU: thanks for you response. I have tried to wait for around a minute but the one of the "canonijnetwork" kind still does not appear.Only the scanner, and if the cable is connected, the USB kind. I have already installed the newest driver 10.84.2.0, I also tried first removing the folder BJ printer with the old drivers, then installing the new one again. Do you have any suggestion what to do? Many thanks in advance

Canon Pixma MP640 wireless set up doesn't work (MB OSX 10.6.8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.