Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 4k displays

I have a MacBook Pro - late 2013 model with retina display. (and I hadn't realised my photos were so sharp!).

I am thinking of getting one of the new sub-$1,000 4k displays (Dell, Asus, Lenovo): Do any of you know of any constraints that I should be considering in using one of these for photo editing?

Thanks,

Hugh

And I would much prefer Apple to come out with a new thunderbolt display - but there seems no sign of that on the horizon.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Running Lightroom and Photoshop

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 3:27 AM

See -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6008.

Good luck,

Clinton

7 replies

Feb 3, 2014 3:41 AM in response to HughGriffiths

The main constraint in using P2815Q, Pro2840m, and/or PB287Q for photo editing is that they use twisted-nematic (TN) panels. TN displays suffer from limited viewing angles, especially in the vertical direction. Colors will shift when viewed off-perpendicular. In the vertical direction, colors will shift so much that they will invert past a certain angle, and colors are more washed out, and it inherently can't reproduce as wide an array of colors, so it's not accurate enough to use for photo or video editing. The color gamut is also far lower (perhaps 30-40% of the sRGB gamut instead of 70-100%) so there are a lot of colors it just can’t reproduce. The other issue is that they are limited to 30Hz refresh rate when using the full 3840 x 2160 native resolution. 30Hz produces a choppy and jumpy image and limits the frame rates in videos quite considerably. That’s going to make it less ideal for any sort of photo or video work.

New 4k displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.