Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting xserve to xserve raid - done everything

Hello,

I'm having trouble connecting my secondhand xserve to xserve raid.

- xserve is running 10.8.5

- i'm screen sharing the xserve

- I have reset both the RAID controllers with paperclip

- both fiber channels are connected

- both controller cards are connected to the xserve via ethernet

User uploaded file

- half the hdds in both sides of raid show red light

- it has been on for 24 hours now

Add system in RAID Admin doesn't propose anything, so I have manually entered the ip addresses from server.app>network pane.

If anybody has any ideas I would be thankful.

Paul

OS X Server

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 3:10 AM

5 replies

Feb 3, 2014 3:39 PM in response to Paul Kana

There are several possibilities.

First off, from your screen shot, both your RAID and your host are using the same IP addresses (169.254.192.90 and 169.254.87.107). That's not going to work. However, it's probably not your major problem... let's move down the stack.

Your interface on the host isn't connected/configured corrected - as noted by the Orange ball alongside the IP address. You need to fix that.

Second, the 169.254 addresses are somewhat variable, so just because the RAID had that address at one point in time that doesn't mean it still has that address - it could have changed. This may or may not be the case, depending on the link status of the host system.

If you choose to Add System within RAID Admin, it will search over the network to find nearby, available RAID systems to add. This is usually better than relying on dynamic IP addresses that might have changed since you last configured the array.

In either caase, focus on the link to your host. Check if you can at least ping the RAID. Use a tool such as tcpdump to see if you can determine the IP address of the RAID (hint: you should see it broadcasting on the network link).

Feb 4, 2014 1:48 AM in response to Camelot

Thank you for your time! I am very grateful.

I did a 224.0.0.1 ping, and found three ips responding.

So this one seems to be the RAID:

Port Scanning host: 192.168.0.10

Open TCP Port: 23 telnet

Open TCP Port: 80 http

When I try to connect to this ip with "private" as password, Raid Admin gets stuck in "gathering information".

No raid turns up in "add system"

Apr 25, 2016 3:48 PM in response to Paul Kana

Try this.

Leave the FC connections as is and connect the XRAID unit via both ethernet ports to a stand-alone switch/hub. Anything will do just make sure it's not connected to anything else on the network and there's no DHCP Service. Now connect any Mac (mac laptop would be ideal) that has RAID Admin tools installed to that hub/switch.

Leave the network settings on that laptop as they are. No fixed IP or anything else - basically DHCP and monitor the network settings until you see the usual IP address range for zero conf networks - 169.224.x.x etc.

Now launch RAID Admin and see if it connects.

If it does access the advanced (management) settings and configure one of the ethernet ports with the IP address range the real network is using. Apply the settings and verify those settings have taken. Now assign the same IP address range to the mac and try connecting again. Does it connect OK this time? Does it ping OK?

If it does re-connect the unit back onto the main network and this time try the same from the XServe.

Connecting xserve to xserve raid - done everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.