Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving from Windows to iMac

Hi All

I am travelling that well worn road of Windows to Mac and have a couple of specific questions, I would also like to invite any general advice from people who have undertaken the same journey. It's kind of obvious stuff; but this marks a monumental change having used Windows since the days of 3.1.

I'm aiming for a 27 inch iMac with the 3.4 Ghz i5 processor. I am aiming for a 5 year lifecycle out of the computer My main application is photography and while I have been dabbling in video it really is only an occaisional thing. I primarily use an Xbone for gaming, so have not played a PC game in a while - although would not rule out some Mac gaming.

With this in mind is it worth going for the 4Gb graphics card or will the 2Gb be sufficient? My current PC is so horribly dated it's very difficult to draw a comparson on this!

Secondly my plan is to go with stock 8Gb and upgrade this a later date. What I'm wondering here is if I can do a two stage upgrade ie is it possible to run 2 x 8Gb modules alongside the stock 4gb (giving 24gb) or will I just need to bite the bullet and go to 32Gb.

Finally I currently store my whole Lightroom library on a 2 TB external drive (which although I have never given it a second thought, I assume is formatted to NTFS).. Will the iMac recognise contents of the disk so I can just carry on as normal?

Be grateful for some guidance and any other advice that you may have.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2014 3:47 PM in response to wolf-359

In addition to Baltwo's excellent advice my suggestion would be the 27" i5 iMac with the 2 GB graphics card and take delivery with the base 8GB of RAM. Then purchase an additional 8GB or 16GB from a reputable reseller such as OWC (www.macsales.com) or Crucial. Installing RAM in a 2012-2013 iMac is a 10 minute process that does not require tools.

As for your Lightroom library, you will need to convert from the Windows version of Lightroom to either the OS X version or convert to Apple's Aperture. In your case because you already know LR I'd stay with it. Your EHD will need to be formatted for OS X, while OS X can read a NTFS disk it cannot write to it. My recommendation would be to temporarily move the library to the Mac's internal HD then format the EHD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then move the library back to the newly formatted EHD. You should talk to Adobe directly to see if the OS X version of Lightroom will read the MS Windows version and how Adobe handles a switch from the Windows version to the OS X verison. Find out what they charge if anything.

In addition budget for another EHD to use as a your backup drive. Again I recommend OWC and would recommend their Mercury Elite Pro line of EHDs.

Feb 4, 2014 5:38 AM in response to wolf-359

Making the switch

In May 2013, I received a slightly-used 2011 Mac desktop (just when I needed a new computer) so decided to make the switch from 30 years of PC to Mac.

I have had a growing curiousity about Mac since acquiring my iPad 3 years ago - thought it would be better to sync my iPad using a Mac than a PC - but really, I just wanted to know what all the "shouting" was about.

First off - Found out there is no difference in syncing.

Thought it would be great to have a problem-free, easy to use desktop.

Found out there is no difference between a PC and a Mac when it comes to problems. One is better at some things - the other is better at some things. Problems arise on my Mac just like they arose on the PC.

On a side note - Very disappointed to see my pixels are dying - something I have never experienced with my PC's monitors, but something I read about regularly on the Apple forums. Now, I have a monitor problem with no ability to switch out the monitor.

Found out the transition from one OS to another was more difficult than I expected as I consider myself a better than average computer user who can install hard drives and RAM and wipe out and reinstall OS's, etc., and just generally solve my own issues using google and friend's advice.

So get ready for some aggravation as you learn an entirely new OS.

Learned that a Mac is no better or worse than a PC. With the quality control issues that have arisen at Apple these last few years, I have decided - when the pixel issue gets so bad I can't work on this machine anymore - I won't spent the $2 to $3 grand for a new Mac - but rather, I'll get another PC.

I'm not saying there's anything much wrong with owning a Mac if you want one - I'm just saying - it's just a computer - it has good points and it has bad points - just like a PC. And the difference in cost gives me pause when I consider purchasing a new Mac (this one was free) - cost will be a serious issue in deciding which way to go since quality doesn't seem to be all that much better and problems don't seem to be that many fewer...

I know I will get arguments, but I wish those Mac users would at least have my 9 months comparison before commenting.

Feb 4, 2014 5:52 AM in response to cats4jan

You buy a used computer and then you complain about quality control, LOL. Had you bought new you would have had a 1 year warranty and the chance to buy AppleCare. Instead you took on someone else's problems, while there is doubt problems can arise with a Mac or OS X for the vast majority that isn't the case. I also used PC's for 30 years, made the switch to a Mac 8 years ago and have had absolutely no issues, learned OS X within a matter of weeks and have seen many many other switch with the same experience as me, including my wife who just switched from a PC to her first Mac, a MM.

Feb 4, 2014 6:34 PM in response to rkaufmann87

The computer was free. My FIL died and my BIL figured I'd be the only person in the family who would be willing to learn a new OS.

It was in excellent condition when I got it. However, it is now almost three years old and even if I had been the original owner, this problem would've shown up. What in the world is my being the second owner have to do with pixels dying? So what if I had AppleCare? I would still have a computer that needed repair.

You seem to have missed the point of my response.

My point is - for those who are considering making the switch because the think they will be getting a superior fault free product you think is unheard of in a PC, think again. You only need to go as far as this forum, to find out that burned out pixels seems to be common. As well as other faults that can strike either PC or Mac.

I didn't say I hated my Mac - just that I didn't see much difference between a Mac and a PC. And when I throw in the the higher cost of Mac. I'd really have to think long and hard as to why I'd pay extra cash to get a product who's quality control seems to have gotten away from them.

My 4 year old PC is still going strong without the need for repair. And the same goes for the PC's I had before that. None of the last three PC's have been in the repair shop.

I still think the Mac is a good product, but jeez, calm down. It's only a friggin' computer.

As for learning the OS in three weeks. Good for you. It took me longer to learn and I found it challenging. I guess I'm not as smart as you are.

Feb 4, 2014 9:22 PM in response to cats4jan

I totally got your point, you got a computer that is damaged and you're angry about it. You got something for free and now your're faulting Apple. You may (or may not) have any idea what life that computer lived prior to you're getting it. If it was in perfect condition when you got it it would not have failed at 3 years old. While some due the vast majority do not. Finding fault on a free, 3 year old used computer, well to me that makes no sense.

Feb 5, 2014 3:48 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I don't think you got my point at all.

My point was for those who have not already switched - that there isn't that much difference between a PC and a Mac other than cost. Both are good machines.

My point is - buying a Mac won't guarantee a trouble free purchase. (The recent quality control issue is troubling to me) -

I'm just throwing out some food for thought for those contemplating the switch.

The subject of this thread was about switching - my viewpoint is - if you've always wanted to try a Mac - go ahead, but your experience may (or may not) be like mine.

My point was - my last three PC's HAPPENED to be trouble free - while this Mac was not.

My point was - it MAY be difficult to adjust to a new OS.

My point was...

oh, I give up.

BTW - since this computer came from my FATHER-IN-LAW, I do know how it was used (gently) and I do know how it came to me (less than a year old with no burned out pixels). The pixel issue just showed up last month.

I am not angry the pixels are burned out (and sadly, my line of burned out pixels is growing) - I am disappointed that it is happening. I was hoping to get 3 good years out of this computer before I got bored with it and moved on to another computer.

Why does finding fault on a free, 3 year old used computer make no sense? (BTW - I highly doubt it is even 3 years old yet)

Just because it was free, I shouldn't have expected it to function trouble free for more than 10 months more?

Just because it was used yet relatively new, I shouldn't have expected it to function trouble free for more than 10 months more?

Computers are a fickle sort of product. Some of them are good - some of them are bad. When this one gets unusable, out the window it goes. If I hear the quality control issues have been improved at Apple, I may actually buy another Mac. It's not out of the realm of possibility. It all depends what innovations I see in computers then.

And on a side note - why are you so angry at me?

I haven't maligned one of your children. It's just a material possession, jeez.

Moving from Windows to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.