Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete photos in iPhoto and External HDD simultaneously?

Hello. I have 256SSD so its too little for me to save my large photo gallery on laptop. I use for it external HDD. So i have next problem: when i delete photos in iPhoto they are deleted from only application and it stays in EXT HDD, but I want iPhoto to do it simultaneously, when i delete in iPhoto it should delete in hdd too. In preferances there is no such feature. Couldnt find anything in google about this subject. If there's no built in feature what you suggest me to do to solve this problem? thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 2.4GHz 256SSD 4GB RAM

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 6:09 AM

It would be much safer, to store the complete iPhoto library on the external drive. IPhoto simply does not support working with referenced images well. If you store the complete library on your external drive, iPhoto can delete the original files from the library, when you delete the photos in iPhoto.

If you want your photo library on the internal SSD, but the original images on an external drive, consider to upgrade to Aperture. That application has been designed to work with photo libraries distributed across several drives.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2014 6:09 AM in response to The Game N.W.A.

It would be much safer, to store the complete iPhoto library on the external drive. IPhoto simply does not support working with referenced images well. If you store the complete library on your external drive, iPhoto can delete the original files from the library, when you delete the photos in iPhoto.

If you want your photo library on the internal SSD, but the original images on an external drive, consider to upgrade to Aperture. That application has been designed to work with photo libraries distributed across several drives.

Feb 3, 2014 6:54 AM in response to The Game N.W.A.

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Feb 3, 2014 11:26 AM in response to The Game N.W.A.

Yes - but you also are storing up many future problem with no benifit

The easy and safe solution is to have your iPhoto library on an external drive that is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) - no downside from what you are currently doing and many upsides since you avoid a raft of problems - the double deletion being one of the minor ones

The GIANT issue is that wit an iPhoto referenced library the path to the originals can never change which makes replacing defective hardware or upgrading either the computer of the external hard drive much more difficult

LN

Feb 3, 2014 12:22 PM in response to The Game N.W.A.

Your choice - you can continue deleting twice being aware that you will have future problems when you want or need to upgrade the EHD or the computer - and bewing aware that the photos your PC sees are only the original images - nothing done in iPhoto will be reflected in them (and you can not modify them from the PC without causing issues in iPhoto)

Your problem is that you are using iPhoto for two purposes which is it not designed - cross platform access and a referenced library - you would be much better off switching to a DAM that does support the capabilities you want to use rather than jury rigging a risky method of misusing iPhoto

LN

Delete photos in iPhoto and External HDD simultaneously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.