Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

serverbackup not backing up OD?

Hi everyone,

I want to use the serverbackup command line tool to make sure Time Machine delivers a full backup of my server if neccessary. The directory /.ServerBackups is successfully created and gets removed after TM ran. But I was wondering if it works as intended. When I look inside /.ServerBackups/openDirectory there’s nothing inside while /.ServerBackups/serverSettings contains lots of .conf and .status files. There’s dirserv.conf and dirserv.status, but it seems like my OD database isn’t backed up. I suppose it’s meant to go into /.ServerBackups/openDirectory

Am I missing something? Manual OD backups via Server.app work fine.

Thanks

Björn

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 10:58 AM

An OD master configuration should be backed up to the file

/var/backups/ServerBackup_OpenDirectoryMaster.sparseimage

6 replies

Feb 3, 2014 12:06 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks! I didn’t know it was put in that location. Are there any other paths where backed up server settings are placed? Or am I good to go with these 2?

/.ServerBackups/

/var/backups/

I already verified that /.ServerBackups/ is indeed included in the server’s Time Machine backup as should be the case with /var also.

I am asking, because I would like to script a regular execution of serverbackup.

Thanks again!

Björn

Feb 3, 2014 12:56 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, I am of course backing up the server using TM and rsync, but I wanted to make sure that open databases are backed up, too. Without the OD database I wouldn’t be able to restore OD properly as an example. I just wanted to know if a complete TM backup with no exclusions plus the data created via serverbackup (in the 2 mentioned locations) are enough to completely restore the server in case of emergency. 😉

serverbackup not backing up OD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.