Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sometimes the screen doesn't rotate on my iPad Air, even when the rotation lock is off. Is there something I'm missing or is my iPad just broken?

Initially I thought this was perhaps due to running a particular app in the background that didn't support either portrait or landscape mode if it was relatively a landscape or portrait only app. However, even after closing and quitting all apps on the iPad air, the screen would still not orient itself to the way I was holding it. I have an iPad (original), an iPad (4th gen) and an iPad mini and haven't experienced this problem on any of these, it's only on my iPad air (64gb). Anyone have any ideas? Does this happen to anyone else?

iPad, iOS 7.0.4, Air 64gb Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 7:03 AM

Have you tried restarting or resetting your iPad?

Restart: Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10 seconds).

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2014 7:03 AM in response to billyjack76

Have you tried restarting or resetting your iPad?

Restart: Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10 seconds).

Feb 4, 2014 10:55 PM in response to JimHdk

Hey Jim, I've tried all those things and even erased and reset the iPad initially though I then restored it from the same back up. It makes me wonder whether it's a particular glitch in the hardware, particularly the accelerometer or if maybe it's just some code in an app that isn't quitting properly. But it still happens even with all apps apparently closed....

Feb 23, 2014 6:36 AM in response to billyjack76

I noticed the same thing this morning since upgrading to 7.0.6. It allows apps to rotate but the home screens do not rotate. When you select an app that responds to rotation like Safari it will then rotate to the current orientation. It would appear that this is now the same behavior as the iPhone. I hope it was not an intentional change. Many of us liked it better the old way.

Feb 24, 2014 4:03 AM in response to Ed Magnin

Didn't get around to phoning Apple till this afternoon. As I rang, I opened my iPad Air to get the serial number ready and to my amazement the screen rotated portrait to landscape. I hung up the phone and tried rotating the iPad Air with home screen and then with a few applications; rotating it this way and that. All resolved for no apparent reason! It seems to me that there is a fault and that it's intermittent.

Feb 25, 2014 9:04 AM in response to billyjack76

Hi,

I also have suddenly developed this problem on my iPad 3, immediately after updating to iOS 7.0.6. I definitely think it's a bug introduced in this point release, since I never had this problem before at all. It's not there all the time - it just sometimes suddenly decides that nope, that's it, no screen rotation for me until I reboot.

Sometimes the screen doesn't rotate on my iPad Air, even when the rotation lock is off. Is there something I'm missing or is my iPad just broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.