Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 1.1 set up using RAID 0 (2 x SSDs SATA III) and PCIe card. Installed the two SSDs in RAID 0 via StarTech's StarTech ePCI SATA III RAID controller card with mini-SAS (PEXSAT34SFF). Slower than RAID without card. Different card need?

Mac Pro 1.1 set up using RAID 0 (2 x SSDs SATA III) and PCIe card. Installed the two SSDs in RAID 0 via StarTech's StarTech ePCI SATA III RAID controller card with mini-SAS (PEXSAT34SFF). Slower than RAID without card. Different card needed?

The speeds on Nova Bench were:

2 x SSB SATA III in RAID (striped) with ePCI = 82 MB/s

2 x SSB SATA III in RAID (striped) without ePCI = 126 MB/s
i am a teacher trying to produce video learning resources on a minimum budget. Hence trying to upgrade a secondhand Mac Pro 1.1 . I've upgraded the RAM to 26 Gb. If some kind sould out there to me to buy such-and-such a card and which internal connections to make i could attain faster read and write speeds i would be a happy man. Both speeds seem well below par, even for an old Mac Pro 1.1.
cheers

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Mac Pro 1.1, SSD SATA III, PCIe

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 8:10 AM

17 replies

Feb 3, 2014 9:53 AM in response to London artist teacher

ARe you using an 8X slot? is the card supported in 10.6 on Mac Pro 1,1? 1x slot? 4x?

One of the best cards is the $300 Sonnet Tempo Pro SSD PCIe if you want to use two SSDs for a data array.

you cannot boot and no need to on PCIe SSD.

Booting from a single SSD on one of the six SATA II ports is fine for the system and apps, I know I use Samsung 840 128GB there. And some SSDs on Sonnet Tempo for graphic files.

Usually you would be fine on a couple 2TB WD Black drives for video work.

you should be running at least 10.6.8+ updates, or even Lion 10.7.5 (the last that is supported on 1,1 and 2,1 models)

Feb 3, 2014 2:52 PM in response to The hatter

Thank you!

Answers to queries from 'The Hatter':

PCIe is installed in top (4) PCI slot. Checking in in Expansion Slot Utility, the card is selected as x 8 (in profile that desingates one x16 Graphics Slot + One x8 and Two x1 Slots. According to StarTech technical support, the card requites a x4 slot.However, under current PCI Express Profile (again in Expansion Slot Utility) the PCIe comes up as x1. Its Status reads a 'Running at maximum speed'.

What increase in speed would you expect from use of the Sonnet Tempo Pro SSD PCIe? Do you know of anyone who has installed this in a Mac Pro 1.1?

StarTech seemed to me to be sugesting that their PCIe RAID controller card would substantially boost speeds when used in conjunction with a two SSD SATA III setup. But the reality is it slows down the read/write test times. So far, it has been a waste of time and money... hence asking on this forum for some real Mac Know-How!

At present the Mac Pro 1.1 is running 10.6.8. I first tried the StarTech PCIe card with Lion running and that made no difference to the speed.

The Mac Pro did boot up from SSDs (in RAID 0) when connected to the PCIe. But at a slower speed than when SSDs on internal SATA II ports.

So. It's a question of whether to ditch PCIe cards as a pipedream solution (and waste of money) or try out the Sonnet card you mention. Looking at the Mac Upgrades site doesn't look hopeful for pre-2009 Mac Pros: http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=807 Perhaps another alternative?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. One promise. If i manage to upgrade this Mac Pro 1.1 within my constrained budget, i will be reporting back on exactly how it was done to anyone interested. i'm producing unfunded video learning resources for school teachers, hence the need to think v carefully before any more unecessary expense. The Sonnet seems v sensibly priced if it can boost performance. Though, of course, not (apparently) on pre-2009 Mac Pros.

Feb 3, 2014 8:33 PM in response to London artist teacher

Don't get discouraged yet... You can probably get all the transfer speed you need with a few SATA drives and maybe a RAID card. Please respond with details of your workflow. Pretty much everyone is using digital intermediates these days so with the right codecs HD will cut like DV,

I've been cutting with FCP for well over 10 years and cut a lot of footage on a client's 1,1 system. This can be done and if you can return the SSDs, maybe within your budget.

Awaiting your input

Feb 4, 2014 4:12 AM in response to RatVega™

Thank you.

Mac Pro 1.1 set up using RAID 0 (2 x SSDs SATA III) and PCIe card:

StarTech's StarTech ePCI SATA III RAID controller card with mini-SAS (PEXSAT34SFF)... as mentioned above, in the Expansion Utility, this card is read as x1 in what should be a x8 slot. Moving its location makes no difference... according to the Expansion Utility.

For video data am using two 3TB Barracudas in RAID 0.

To be blunt, i originally approached StarTech support asking if this card would improve speeds with the SSDs. They said OK. So here i am, a few weeks later, asking Mac experts for practical guidance!

The SATA III SSDs make a positive difference... and also seem a good investment for kids' laptops a year or so down the line!

Feb 4, 2014 9:27 AM in response to London artist teacher

Yes, I think I grasp the problems you're experiencing. I believe that part of the problem is that the PCIe support for the Mac Pro 1,1 was limited, and more limited in certain models.

The good news is that through careful configuration you can extract enough speed to make your machine do a good job. So the first question is: what is your machine? Yes, it's a MacPro 1,1 but what speed? The original 2.66GHz quad had a total of 26 dynamically allocated PCIe lanes, with 16 going to the graphics board right off the top. The RAID controller you have requires a PCIe 2.0 x2 that isn't in your era Mac Pro. But not to worry, you really don't need it.

What I really need is to understand what sort of projects and what kind of footage you work with so I can assess the kind of bandwidth you will require. And depending on which Non-Linear Editor (NLE) you're using we should be able to figure out a workflow that will get you there without a lot of exotica. So what source (camera) format is "normal" for you? are you doing standard definition (SD) or high definition (HD)? If HD, what frame size? all these things bear on how to set up for best results.

p.s.: Don't lose those SSDs, you'll probably want them for System and Apps.

Over to you...

Feb 4, 2014 9:36 AM in response to RatVega™

Top slot #4 under the drives will normally be your 2nd best 8x slot, close to a 4x PCIe 2.x slot.

SSDs would not they be too small for video? Aperture, VMs, scratch, yes.

PCIe is useful to free up your drive bays for some 4 x 2TB drives to use, and so you can get enough raw disk I/O to have 300-440MB/sec sustain writes/reads, if that matters.

Feb 4, 2014 9:58 AM in response to RatVega™

Thanks again.

It's the 3.0 Ghz version of the Mac Pro 1.1. As above reply, i'll be returning the PCIe card.

Most footage is 1080, shot on a Canon DSLR. Editing with FCP 7.0.

SSDs will definitely stay. Apps are installed on one, though i am wondering whether to combine them as a RAID 0 volume in order to speed up apps and use for video files in use during each editing session. At the end of the session these would be moved to a 4TB RAID 0 volume... two internal Barracudas. Backup will be via FireWire to two GoFlex 2TB drives, also in RAID 0. i hope that sounds sensible.

Also, i have contacted Sonnet, asking them if they know of a concrete example of a Mac Pro using the Tempo Pro PCIe card (suitable for the Mac Pro 1.1 with its SATA 1.0 PCI slots) with the two SATA III SSDs installed on it. This might mess up use of the SSDs for apps, but i'll deal with that depending upon their response.

Any suggestions very welcome!

Feb 4, 2014 10:55 AM in response to London artist teacher

Good move getting StarTech to take back the RAID controller. It only supported modes 0 and 1 anyway and you can do that with the Apple RAID software (if you must.)

You still haven't provided much detail, but here's basically what can be done:

As The Hatter mentions above, you can use the SSDs on PCIe for your OS and Apps. This will speed your system up noticeablly. Your User stuff and go on a different drive based on how you set up your storage.

I'm guessing you're on Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) so if you really need fast storage, you can stripe a couple of drives as RAID 0. THIS IS A DANGEROUS MOVE! A RAID 0 has to be treated with great care because it can crash at any time and is NOT recoverable. But, it will double or triple your data rate (my first SATA RAID 0 used 4 drives and would move data at 300MB/sec.on a dual 2.5GHz G5) I got away with it for a couple of years, but I was the only one who touched that machine. In the end it crashed without warning.

Before you go the RAID route, take a good look at what you're actually doing and what it requires. Your system supports SATA II drives that will transfer at 80-100MB/sec if properly maintained. This is fast enough to support several streams of SD or a stream (maybe 2) of HD depending on the size and codec. SATA III drives are everywhere and will work fine, you just won't see the higher speed because the MacPro has SATA II.

If you are using Final Cut Studio, there are lossless digital intermediates available that reduce the processor overhead (at the expense of data bandwidth) so that simple edits in HD are practical. Extensive effects work and heavy use of filters (like Magic Bullet) are no-nos as the render times are staggering.

iMovie is an option as well, but the K.I.S.S rule (Keep It Simple, Sir...) since the newer versions like to do everything in real time and depend heavily on a fast video board and high clockrate processors.

Hope this is helping

Feb 4, 2014 11:24 AM in response to London artist teacher

No Mac Pro 1,1 will boot from PCIe SSD as I have tried to say a couple times.

Never a good idea to have apps anywhere but with the OS (X-Plane and a few others being the exception to the rule).

RAID0 is not ideal or good for backups, and if you need 8TB for backups, then RAID5, preferably RAID6 (6 x 2TB in that case).

I am using Sonnet Tempo. They recommend the PRO and do not support the non-Pro version, even so IT IS NOT BOOTABLE. Which is why I point and keep mentioning data type uses.

A good SAS controller costs hundreds $$s.

Feb 4, 2014 2:12 PM in response to London artist teacher

First off, thank you hatter for the info about the 1,1 systems and PCI-based SSD. This is sad, but not a tragedy.

To London: If you mentioned the size of the SSDs, I missed it. If you have all (or even most) of Final Cut Studio 3 installed, you'll probably need single 250G for the OS & Apps. I'm planning a SSD in my 3,1 and feeling is that it would be wise to include the Library folder as well as because of all the App Support and Audio stuff FCS keeps there. My OS/Apps/Library runs about 130GB.

OK, so you're working with a Canon DSLR. I've done quite a bit with that camera and it's nice to work with. You'll be using ProRes 422 to transcode and in 1080/24 that's about 116Mbits/second so a couple of streams from a single SATA drive is do-able. If you can dedicate a couple of 2-4TB drives to the active project and and its scratch (with exterior storage for archiving) all should be good. I duplicate the H.264 source and store it in an exterior archive, then keep a copy in the Project Folder just in case the ProRes breaks. that saves a little disk space.

I'm with The Hatter on the RAID 0 issue (in case I wasn't clear in my last post. 😉) Fast is nice but not if it frequently ends badly. I like the RAID 5/6 but in your current situation it's probably out both technically and costwise. There are a few 2-port eSATA adapters for PCIe 1.0 out there if you need more drives.

good luck!

Feb 5, 2014 2:59 AM in response to RatVega™

Thanks to both of you gents for your guidance.

How about: http://www.apricorn.com/vel-solox1.html ? The Velocity Solo x1 seems an inexpensive way of boosting SSD speed. i've asked them for concrete examples of usage on Mac Pro 1.1, as they propose that this PCIe card is suitable for the early model. Do you have any personal experience of this specific card? It is much, much cheaper than the Sonnet Tempo Pro. That a product is less expensive (of course) generally raises questions re. a manufacturer's promises re. performance, but one lives in hope eh?!

The two SSDs i have to hand are both 250 Gb Samsungs.

Lookiing again at RAID arrays, it looks as if a 1+0 set up makes the best sense. I tend to use low-res BITC copies of original footage to develop paper edits, so storage space is the not the problem. In fact the speed issue really comes into its own only during the final edit, as at that point i expect to bring in a more experienced editor (a friend with an interest in education) to assist with fine-tuning the cuts... obviously i don't want to keep them sitting around waiting to view results.

ta again.

Feb 5, 2014 4:54 AM in response to The hatter

Absolutely.... using Velocity Solo x1 would be a non-RAID solution. But the increase of speed using this PCIe card looks as if it would far surpass the benefits of RAID speed increase. The x2 card doesn't support boot up or 32bit on Mac Pro 1.1 ... according to the Apricorn website.

Now it's a question of finding users who have tried this specific PCIe solution on a Mac Pro 1.1!

Thanks again.

Mac Pro 1.1 set up using RAID 0 (2 x SSDs SATA III) and PCIe card. Installed the two SSDs in RAID 0 via StarTech's StarTech ePCI SATA III RAID controller card with mini-SAS (PEXSAT34SFF). Slower than RAID without card. Different card need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.