Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV: Airplay audio is cutting out/Should NOT be a network issue

I'm having major issues with audio cutting out over Airplay while playing Spotify from my MB Pro to an Apple TV. iTunes radio seems to work alot better, but iTunes radio majorly blows. I don't want to listen to the same **** song every 45 minutes.

I have gigabit fiber internet, a new Apple Extreme router, a new 15" MB Pro, and the latest generation Apple TV. All of the devices are within 20 feet of each other and have full reception. There are no other devices running on this network when I'm experiencing my issues and the only bandwidth being used besides the audio stream is my surfing. The audio skipping happens whether I'm using bandwidth or not.

Also, I'm not airplaying video, only audio.

This is utter bullcrap to have so much bandwidth and an ac wireless network that can't even handle an audio stream properly. I see alot of other people complaining as well, so what's the deal, Apple?

Thanks in advance for any help.

MBP 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 8:19 AM

8 replies

Feb 3, 2014 10:28 PM in response to diesel vdub

That is true.

However, so far this is the only solution that helped for my Airplay problems.

Before I tried restarting and restoring my Apple TV, turn off and on homesharing both on ATV and in iTunes, set fixed IP adresses, reset/restart iTunes/iMac/... etc.., I checked the WiFi channels with iStumbler, and some other things I can't think of right now.

And with firmware 6.0.2 I had to restart iTunes and restart my ATV almost every time to get things working. Very annoying (and embarrassing) when I want to watch a movie with my wife and/or friends.

So I know it is not supported by Apple, but with the downgrade to 5.3 Airplay works again and that's most important for me now.

Feb 4, 2014 7:32 AM in response to diesel vdub

Ok, so this is what I've done based on recommendations:

+ unplugged Apple TV

+ I used the Mavericks Wifi Diagnostic Tool to analyze my network and find the best possible 2.4 and 5 ghz channels. I then set them to that and restarted the airport extreme.

+ After aiport was started up, I plugged the ATV back in.

+ Started streaming, still same problems.

This is definitely more than a network issue, it's obviously a software issue. I would downgrade to 5.3, but I watch the new channels in 6, so I don't want to do that.

Thanks so far for the advice.

Any other suggestions?

Feb 4, 2014 8:39 AM in response to lemmster1234

it's more likely an interference issue then a bandwidth issue

verify this by connecting both by eathernet rather then wifi

if it is then try changing wifi channel as if other networks close by use the same channel you get interference

if you can try changing from 2.4Ghz wifi to 5Ghz wifi as 2.4Ghz is a very busy band bluetooth, dect landline phones use the same and many other equipment heck even microwaveovens use the frequency

Jun 16, 2014 6:08 PM in response to lemmster1234

I had a similar problem using iPhoto on my MacBook Air and trying to connect to my SONY 47" flat screen using Apple TV. Notwithstanding having extensively used the Apple TV to watch numerous movies transmitted via Wifi to my Apple TV and having had no problems, I had numerous problems trying to link the MacBook Air with the Apple TV. Mostly "skipping" sound/music, delayed display of photos, losing Apple TV connection, etc. Being an engineer, I sensed a possible RF interference problem and, sure enough, when I put my iPhone (which was in my pocket) on Airplane Mode (which turns off all RF transmission) the MacBook Air link to the Apple TV began functioning as it should. Not sure if Apple is aware of this problem or whether it is a result of some unique setup of the various hardware involved, i.e., Apple TV, MacBook Air, Apple 5, etc. Good luck.

Apple TV: Airplay audio is cutting out/Should NOT be a network issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.