Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Playback Pauses Every 2-4 Seconds (MacBook Pro w/Retina)

I just bought a brand new MacBook Pro with Retina display.

When playing video in any browser, on any wifi network, in HD or 720p, the video playback is terrible. It pauses every 2-4 seconds for about 1 second or less and then continues. It's not loading, however, as usually the video slider indicates that it's loaded most of the movie.

What is causing this? Is this a problem with the graphics in the MacBook, an OS X problem, or something else?

Notably, playing back a movie that's on the hard drive (SSD) of the MacBook has perfectly smooth playback; no pauses or stutters of any kind.

Any help would be appreciated. It's extremely annoying.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 256 GB SSD

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 8:49 AM

1 reply

Jun 17, 2014 1:15 PM in response to BeavertonMac

I fixed this problem by lowering the MTU value from 1500 to 1497 in Networking / Advanced.

I use a Netgear router and have not adjusted the settings there since this problem does not happen on any other computer on the WIFI network. So, my guess is that the Broadcom WIFI chip? in the rMBP 13' does not play well with the Netgear router. I doubt this would be an issue if I were using an Apple Router.

Considering how annoying this problem is, I hope Apple posts a reply validating this fix. In the event it is a fix, it needs to be published elsewhere.

If anyone has any problems making this change, I will post some instructions.

I hope this helps.

Video Playback Pauses Every 2-4 Seconds (MacBook Pro w/Retina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.