Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original isight - stop autolaunch of facetime?

I've got an original iSight camera connected to a Mac Pro running 10.9. I keep it off most of the time, only turning it on when I'm actually using it.

The only thing I don't like is that when I turn on the camera, it launches Facetime. This results in a little dance. I have to quit from the app that wants to use the camera, turn on the camera, quit facetime, then launch the app that's going to use the camera. This gets old real fast.

Is there any way I can update my system so that nothing happens when I turn on my iSight camera? I certainly don't mind messing around with plist files if that's what it takes.

Thanks,

John F

New York, NY

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 48Gb, 6 core, SSD w/SATA-3 PCI card

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 9:29 AM

10 replies

Oct 23, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Kujako

Kujako wrote:... FaceTime still starts automatically when ever I turn on the iSight....

Can you use the menu command to FaceTime > Quit as soon as FT launches?

If not, be sure to update your OS X 10.9.1 and Skype software, too. My 10.10 Macs let me make a test video Skype call even though I left FaceTime running. Both apps show the same local image of me , but my Skype call works.

Unless you have an FT video session going when you try to start your Skype video session, you should be able to minimize FT and use Skype video. At least I can do so on my 10.10 Macs.

Oct 23, 2014 10:01 PM in response to EZ Jim

It's not that I can't close or minimize facetime when it opens, it's that it opens when it is not wanted. It baffles me that this behavior can not be controlled...

Even if I minimize or close facetime, as soon as the camera turns on it pops up in front of everything else. So I have to close it every time I answer a Skype call.

Nov 1, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Kujako

Kujako wrote: .... It baffles me that this behavior can not be controlled...

No need to be baffled. That is simply how Apple chose to write this version of the software.

Kujako wrote:.... Annoying part is that thisbehavior could be turned off in iChat ...

Yes...well... iChat is (at least by you and me) sorely missed since Mac OS X 8.x. I am no more pleased than you about the "Messages" app that was apparently offered as a replacement for the missing iChat.

Kujako wrote:... That they removed the option in Facetime is very vexing.

If you want to offer comments or suggestions directly to Apple,

Apple claims to welcome feedback on its products.

iChat Feedback is covered via the Messages Feedback link.

The only way I see to offer feedback for Mac OS X's FaceTime is via the OS X Feedback link.

You will not likely see a response, but "Feedback" offers the best assurance that responsible Apple people will see your input.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10

Apr 27, 2015 9:09 PM in response to feinberj

Just discovered this automagical annoyance as well! In my case I have a Mac mini with an iSight, FaceTime would take control of the the camera on boot blocking iCam Source (which I used for a vacation security cam) - not ideal if there was a power loss, the mini reboots, but Facetime is blocking iCam from accessing the camera!

Workaround:

Open Disk Utility

Drag the FaceTime.app into Disk Utility

This will make a .dmg disk image file in Applications

Delete Facetime (this is trickier as Finder will not allow this)

Open Terminal, type in: sudo rm -rf /Applications/FaceTime.app

Now when you want to use FaceTime:

double click the FaceTime.dmg in Applications

The disk image will mount

Double Click FaceTime.app

Perhaps there is a launchd an dplist to be modified out there - but it's what I came up with on the night before vacay :]

Apr 29, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Joel Bruner1

Joel Bruner1 wrote: ... Perhaps there is a launchd an dplist to be modified out there...

Before modifying system files, try checking the "No application" setting in the "Connecting camera opens" choices bar of iPhoto > Preferences... > General as shown in this image:

User uploaded file

Then restart Mac and test whether the problem is resolved.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

Dec 20, 2015 11:27 AM in response to feinberj

I am having this exact same problem, running an older firewire iSight on my Macbook Pro running 10.9.5 and trying to run iCam which FT blocks etc... Tried the iPhoto fix but it crashes when I open the Pref panel but No Application is already clicked in the box.

I want to Edit this post as I seem to found a fix, I went into FT Services and switched the camera option from iSight to iGlasses (a program I run that allows you to control your camera better) but there is also a option for choosing built in. I have unplugged my iSight and back in and no FT launching so far.

I am running OS 10.9.5

Original isight - stop autolaunch of facetime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.