Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Journaled iMac disk in external case

Hi

My iMac 27" is waisted, the repir shop has send me the disk back.

Now I try to mount this 1TB Seagate Barracuda disk in an empty Samsung USB harddisk case I have.

When I connect the external disk to another iMac, is tells me that it can not read the harddisk.

I want to transfer all the content to a new iMac, with setup assistant.

If I press initialize, disk utility is opened, and it can see the external disk, but I can not access the volume...

User uploaded file

The harddisk is spinning, I can hear.

As you can see, the disk has the name Samsung G3 station, because the harddisk case is from Samsung.

It is not possible to select any buttons, like repair, check disk...

The old iMac was running OSX Lion, and I try to read the disk on a iMac with OSX Maverick.

Do I need a special harddisk case to read the journaled old iMac harddisk?

Please help, I do not have backup of the content of the disk :-(

Regards

Ken

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 9:38 AM

7 replies

Feb 3, 2014 10:19 AM in response to Ken_DK

It's not a permissions issue, no. It looks to me like the hard drive has a damaged partition table. That's probably why you see erroneous or missing information for the space used and available, partition type, etc. You can try doing a repair with Disk Utility or a third-party tool such as Disk Warrior, but you may need to try to recover what you can using Wondershare or a similar utility and then try repartitioning and reformatting the drive.

Regards.

Feb 3, 2014 10:29 AM in response to varjak paw

Thank you for your input.

It is not possible to repair with disk utility, as all the buttons are not selectable as you can see on the image.

Do you think Disk warrior can repair the partition table witout loosing all the files on the disk?

Only reason for working with this disk is to recover all the documents, photos, email and other, I will not use the disk for other purpose.

Feb 3, 2014 11:15 AM in response to Ken_DK

I don't know if Disk Warrior could do anything about the drive, nor whether any files could be lost. If Disk Utilty can't even try to repair the drive, my guess is that Disk Warrior won't be able to either, but I can't be certain, nor that it couldn't cause data loss even if it could attempt repair. With as much damage as your drive is exhibiting, it's probable that files have been lost or corrupted in any case, but any time you attempt repairs on a damaged drive, more loss is definitely possible.

At this point drive recovery tools or a drive recovery service are probably your best chance.

Regards.

Feb 4, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Ken_DK

Use the free version of Disk Drill or DiskWarrior to repair the partition. If they report that the disk is bad blocks, you need to make a copy of a disk or files on that disk.

Both programs are able to show a preview of the restored disk.

If you get it successfully, I recommend to make a copy of the entire drive to an external HDD and reformat internal drive with disk utility option zero-level format. If the disc were bad blocks will mark their system and will not be used in the future.

Alex

Apple Support Professional

Feb 4, 2014 9:38 AM in response to Alex.Chernenko

Hi Alex

Thank you for your answer.

I have tried with Disk Drill and Disk Warrior, they can only scan and not recover in free version.

Disk drill don't find external USB disk, I don't know if it is because it is the free version.

It is not my internal disk in the computer I use know, that has the problem, it is a disk from another broken iMac mounted in external usb case.

What do you think about Remo recover pro, it sounds promissing when I read about it on the web, but cost a lot of money (USD179).

Feb 4, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Ken_DK

In a general case, if Disk Utility is able to see the disk, Disk Drill should also see it and verify the recoverability of your data. If it doesn't list the drive in question for you, can you send us the internal logs of Disk Drill according to the following instructions, so we could further troubleshoot the issue: http://help.cleverfiles.com/troubleshooting-basics/ and also attach the screenshot with the details of the drive in DU at the same moment. Thanks

Journaled iMac disk in external case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.