Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fall back to cellular data when wifi is poor...?

I have both Wifi and Cellular Data (4G) permanently enabled on my iPhone 5; however, my iPhone will frequently latch one to free Wifi providers I subscribe to in preference to a strong 4G signal.

Is there any way to avoid this? At present, I can only disable Wifi entirely when this happens, but then when I get home and inevitably forget to re-enable it, I end up using my 4G data allowance without realising it. :-(

Additionally, when I get home, my iPhone frequently connects to a free Wifi provider in the area instead of my home network - is there a way to set the order of preference, like there is in OS X?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 3.4HHz Intel i7, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 10:25 AM

1 reply

Fall back to cellular data when wifi is poor...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.