Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

superscript appears in tables on my screen, but will not print

I am having problems with tables I creat in Pages. Superscript type appears on the screen within the cells, but when I print the page, the superscript does not appear in the cells. I tried converting the table to PDF. Superscript type does not appear in the PDF file.

Anyone have an answer for this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 12:30 PM

You are correct.

Works fine in floating text box and in document text.

Works fine in Pages '09.

Mark that up as yet another Pages 5 bug.

Use Pages '09 which should be in your Applications/iWork folder.

Peter

24 replies

Feb 3, 2014 1:39 PM in response to prillo

My lack of happiness with Apple was turned into smoldering fury by the cow faced "Experts" in our local Apple Store.

Yes you know who I am speaking to in our glorious Nation's Capital!

Don't put on the "Genius" T-shirt if it doesn't fit. Honestly they think Apple giving them the T-Shirt is enough. No thinking allowed thereafter.

Not allowed to call them ignoramouses to their face, but it must have been apparent that is what I was thinking.

The manager is a hopeless tape recorder spouting "reassuring" Apple Speak, with absolutely nothing to back it up with.

They can't even manage their own Macs and networks in the Store and constantly trail all updates and upgrades by weeks, because "It isn't easy!" Talk about condemned out of their own mouths, but they don't even know it!

Sorry. I'm still fuming. What on earth is happening with Apple indeed?

I just bought yet another Mac, a Macbook Pro for my son. What was I thinking!

Peter

Apr 29, 2014 3:11 PM in response to prillo

Here are a few workarounds:

1. use special characters, such as superscripted/subscripted numbers (can't do text this way)
  2. use MathType to create equations within the table with the superscripts/subscripts (hard to format text this way, but fine if you're doing math)
  3. use Pages '09 (as others have pointed out, though this is really just a cop out on the new Pages)
  4. use smaller text to simulate a subscript (looks bad, but not illegible)

This isn't just subscripts and superscripts, or you could mess with the baseline manually; this is a bug with every non-zero baseline setting. The weird part is that both the OS X display and printing are rendered as PDFs, so what this probably represents is a bug in OS X, not Pages. The old Pages probably used some workaround kludge to compensate for OS X.

Apr 29, 2014 3:49 PM in response to prillo

I appreciate everyone's replies, but after finding a subsequent glitch (when exporting a Pages 5 document to MSWord & PDF certain formatted text converted to Boldface), and having this cause yet another embarassing incident for me with my fellow Board members, I "bit the bullet" and purchased Microsoft Office, and am now using MS Word exclusively. I'm very disappointed in Pages 5. For a lot of reasons.

Aug 1, 2014 5:41 AM in response to prillo

I found a character within the character palette that does the trick for the time being.

Font Arial

SUBSCRIPT TWO

Unicode: U+2082, UTF-8: E2 82 82

I tried it myself with Pages 5.2 on 10.9.4 and the unicode is still visible after export to pdf. I already filed a bug report but we have no idea when Apple will correct this serious problem.

User uploaded file

The first column should reed O2 as wel but that's the problem. In the 3rd column I added a test O2 with the unicode character and it worked.

User uploaded file

superscript appears in tables on my screen, but will not print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.