Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with default search domain

Since installing Mavericks, my MacBook Pro (10.9.1) has started having trouble resolving hostnames in the default search domain, which it gets from DHCP and which shows up correctly in the DNS tab of network settings in System Preferences. Sometimes it only shows up when I try to connect to an afp or smb share in the Finder using afp://hostname, for example (I get "There was a problem connecting to the server 'hostname'"), and sometimes it also affects browsers and attempts to ping a server on the command line. However, even when I cannot ping a server by its hostname, I can still successfully do an nslookup on the same hostname. If I substitute the FQDN for the hostname, then everything works. Sometimes it seems to be all hostnames that stop working, and sometimes only specific hostnames are affected. Resetting the DNS cache doesn't help (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5343?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US). The problem usually starts after the machine has been running for a while. A restart always makes it work again for a while, and then the problem always recurs.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 12:38 PM

1 reply

Feb 3, 2014 1:19 PM in response to lamplightertx

Some more info:

Right now I'm unable to connect to afp://hostname in the Finder (but I can ping hostname in Terminal). I run the command networksetup -getdnsservers Wi-Fi and I get "There aren't any DNS Servers set on Wi-Fi." But if I go to System Preferences, select Wi-Fi, click Advanced, and go to the DNS tab, I see the correct list of DNS server IP addresses (grayed out because they're provided by DHCP). I click + and manually type in the same list of DNS server IP addresses, and after this I'm able to connect to afp://hostname in the Finder! But even with the DNS servers entered manually, networksetup -getdnsservers Wi-Fi still returns "There aren't any DNS Servers set on Wi-Fi"! networksetup -getdnsservers "Ethernet 1" returns the correct list of DNS servers, even though Ethernet isn't connected.

Trouble with default search domain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.