Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OD master shows 3 IPs (2 of them invalid)

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that my OD master is showing 3 IP addresses in Server.app under Open Directory. The first is correct, the other 2 are invalid and have never been used. How can I get rid of them without deleting and recreating the OD master? I looked at Directory Utility and found the IP addresses under Config/ldapreplicas and under Computers/SERVERNAME. Removing the entries from there did not work…

Any help appreciated!

Björn

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 2:31 PM

13 replies

Feb 4, 2014 12:23 AM in response to Strontium90

No, they are not self-assigned. The addresses are

10.0.77.3, 192.168.145.1, 192.168.94.1

The last 2 are not used in my network (and they never were). I usually avoid 192.168. completely, so I am really stumped at where these come from.

changeip -checkhostname correctly only lists 10.0.77.3 and the overview tab also shows Ethernet: 10.0.77.3 and nothing else. I am a bit reluctant to run changeip since I remember it being sometimes quite quirky with some services, at least in earlier versions of OS X Server. Would you still recommend using the hostname edit button or something else?

Feb 4, 2014 3:48 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

I will agree that I am stumped as well. Especially them being two different subnets (145, 94). If the addresses were on the same subnet I would guess that the machine was set to DHCP at some point.

By any chance did you play around with Locales? That is a place where additional IPs can be defined. And, likewise, are you multihoming your ethernet or wireless ports?

Finally, if everything is working as expected, perhaps this is just a cosmetic irregularity. Run a:

sudo serveradmin settings dirserv

To see the raw settings of the service.

Feb 4, 2014 6:13 AM in response to Strontium90

Yes, it’s really weird. First thing I do when setting up Server is to always disable all other interfaces except for Ethernet which gets configured with a static IP. It never was set to DHCP as far as I can tell and both subnets have never been used in my LAN. The server itself was never put on another LAN as well, so it’s really interesting where these IPs came from?! I did not do anything with Locales and it is not multihomed.

The settings indeed show the 3 IPs near the bottom of the output:

dirserv:treeConfiguration:odTree:_array_index:0:IPaddresses:_array_index:0 = "10.0.77.3"

dirserv:treeConfiguration:odTree:_array_index:0:IPaddresses:_array_index:1 = "192.168.145.1"

dirserv:treeConfiguration:odTree:_array_index:0:IPaddresses:_array_index:2 = "192.168.94.1"

Do you know how to remove these using the serveradmin command?

Feb 4, 2014 6:38 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

Before you do anything, make a backup 🙂

So you should be able to use the delete option with serveradmin. Something like

sudo serveradmin settings dirserv:treeConfiguration:odTree:_array_index:0:IPaddresses:_array_index:2 = delete

This is not tested on my end so do your research and have a backup.

Recall that this does not resolve the mystery of how those addresses got assigned to the machine. You have stumbled upon the mystery of the week.

Feb 4, 2014 7:29 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

More like mystery of the year! I've seen Server Admin (in the past) as well as Server App throw up some inconsistencies in its GUI but what you describe is something I've never seen or heard of before. I doubt if Reid has either? I wonder if it's possibly due to one of Apple's network devices (AEBS, TC etc) on your network? If you don't have one please ignore.

To clarify the changeip command. As I understand it in its now modern form it's there to test and confirm the viability of your server's hostname resolution and nothing else. IIRC Apple removed its ability to 'fix' anything back in 10.7 although it may have been later? As usual with manual pages its manual page has not been updated to account for the changes. As mentioned Apple recommends using Server App's GUI to make any necessary changes. I tend to use the command line which always works for me.

Feb 4, 2014 8:50 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

I happen to have an AirPort Extreme and an AirPort Express in the network, but they are just running in bridge mode (router is a DrayTek Vigor) as wireless access points and both operate in 10.0.77.x as well. I don’t think they have anything to do with it.

OK, now it gets really wild. I just deleted the OD master using Server.app. After creating a new one the 3 IPs are still there?! They just changed order. Now it says 192.168.94.1, 10.0.77.3, 192.168.145.1. 😕

I then deleted it again and also ran the CLI equivalent (according to krypted.com) of the - button: slapconfig -destroyldapserver

After creating a new master the 3 IPs are still there in the order mentioned above.

Since I am ready to recreate OD I would now love to hear of a way to really completely delete everything OD related in order to start fresh. I would prefer if that’s possible without reinstalling the OS…

Thanks for your help so far!

Björn

Feb 4, 2014 9:23 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

In older versions demotion and re-promotion completey destroys the LDAP database without the need for reformatting and reinstalling. With newer versions you've the added complication of Profile Manager which is so heavily involved with OD, as well as the web service and APNS, I doubt you can divorce them without some impact?

I'm currently testing 10.9 so can't offer anything yet but in previous versions I started the Web Service first (did not matter if I was going to use it or not) followed by Profile Manager which configures Open Directory properly IMO and then anything else I needed.

All I can suggest is switch off all services, demote using Server App's Open Directory Service and resetting PM using the usual command line tool. Then start again after making at least one backup as Reid advises.

Feb 4, 2014 10:43 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

I'll tell ya, if Antonio and I are stumped collectively, you got a good one.

Silly question. What is providing DNS for you? Those numbers must be coming from somewhere. Any change you have a DNS record for the server that provided multiple IP addresses as the reply?

Perhaps try an

nslookup 192.168.94.1

nslookup 10.0.77.3

nslookup 192.168.145.1

nslookup host.domain.com

(replace host.domain.com with the server's fully qualified host name) Do you get replies on any/all of those?

Feb 4, 2014 3:01 PM in response to Strontium90

I ran nslookup and all is well here. 10.0.77.3 as well as my FQDN resolve correctly. Using it with the 2 bogus IPs correctly says

** server can't find 1.94.168.192.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

** server can't find 1.145.168.192.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN

The server itself is providing DNS. It is setup to look at itself and for forwarded requests it uses 10.0.77.1 which is the DrayTek router. It currently only has 1 DNS entry for the server under primary zone and reverse.

Since the PM and Web services are not in use on this server I have little to fear.

Feb 4, 2014 3:11 PM in response to Björn Herrmann

I just found it! 😮 I searched through the system logs for 192.168. and found several entries from "vmnet"!

A few weeks ago I installed VMware Fusion in order to run a Linux virtual appliance on this server. As long as Fusion is running it spawns 2 vmnet-dhcpd processes which is where these IPs come from. I shut down the VM and quit Fusion and created a new OD master afterwards. Guess what? It only listed 10.0.77.3. I then quit Server.app and launched Fusion and opened Server.app again. The 2 IPs are now showing up again!

So it is definitely caused by Fusion’s dhcpd processes. It might just be a cosmetic issue and not cause any problems. After all OD worked fine all the time, but these IPs just were somewhat scary. 😁 I will try to disable these nonetheless since the only VM I need to run is operating in bridged mode anyway and does not require a DHCP server. But that is something for tomorrow. It’s 00:10 now and I’m more than ready for bed…

Feb 5, 2014 1:51 AM in response to Strontium90

OK, you can not edit the virtual adapters of VMware Fusion in the GUI. I believe this is/was possible with VMware Workstation. But you can edit its pref file which is located at

/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/networking

I first tried to set both adapters to no dhcp according to this blog post: http://blog.jameskyle.org/2013/05/disable-dhcp-daemon-on-default-vmnets-in-vmwar e-fusion-5/

But this didn’t suffice. As long as Fusion was running these 2 IPs showed up again in Server.app even though I could see that now both vmnet-dhcpd processes were not running. I then just disabled both vmnet adapters which did the trick and does not affect my VM. The file now looks like this (changes in red):

VERSION=1,0

answer VNET_1_DHCP yes

answer VNET_1_DHCP_CFG_HASH 9D7B8E993A2CA944BDD3D2415820EE8CE010A8F2

answer VNET_1_HOSTONLY_NETMASK 255.255.255.0

answer VNET_1_HOSTONLY_SUBNET 192.168.145.0

answer VNET_1_VIRTUAL_ADAPTER no

answer VNET_8_DHCP yes

answer VNET_8_DHCP_CFG_HASH 4AF3F1A17D543878A20398370780068EBE32200A

answer VNET_8_HOSTONLY_NETMASK 255.255.255.0

answer VNET_8_HOSTONLY_SUBNET 192.168.94.0

answer VNET_8_NAT yes

answer VNET_8_VIRTUAL_ADAPTER no

add_bridge_mapping en0 2

I am posting this here in order to find it again, should I ever forget about my changes and need the vmnet adapters.

Thanks for your help, both of you!

Björn

OD master shows 3 IPs (2 of them invalid)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.