Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get my accounts straight!

Hello, I have spent a dizzying amount of time trying to clear up my cloud, appleid, "accounts" and am so frustrated! I'm not even sure which is the best discussion board to post my question, because it is so interconnected.

While troubleshooting mail, I saw an old post from from WinstonChurchill that indicated a solid understanding of the trickier issues and found my way here.

Is this an appropriate place to post?

- Lost Laura

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 2:51 PM

7 replies

Feb 3, 2014 4:24 PM in response to Winston Churchill

It's hard to know where the root of the problem lies. For example, when I receive an iMessage, it can show up (or sometimes not) addressed to me in a number of variations of my identity. Somehow my identity is now listed in lots of different ways in my contacts. They are not exact duplicates, and are triggered by some process I think. Support at one time had me turning off and on icloud, merging duplicates,turning on and off user accounts and icloud accounts, etc., and when i was using mobileme. I used to get hundreds of duplicates but so far that has stayed fixed.

Another thing I can't understand, is when I try to get information on my mail quota, there is no usage meter visible, but I get a message that "This account limits the space available to store your mail."

When I would migrate my data to a new computer or phone, etc. it may have added to the mix. I am also a legacy of mac.com and mobileme, I "have" an icloud account, but am still somehow recognized as having an alternate appleid in my user preferences as me.com.

I don't know if my email settings are correct.

The problem is that I just haven't been able to pinpoint the problem. Apple's support is getting better at understanding the problem, but by the time the support person does the basic troubleshooting and finds someone who understands, it can be hours, and I eventually have to go.

Is this making any sense? It is very confusing to me. Thanks.

Feb 5, 2014 10:26 AM in response to wodehousefanusa

I think we need to break down the issues into specific issues.

Messages can use various identities to both send and receive messages. If you have used different IDs to send messages to others they may well respond to you with different IDs since many people just reply to the address that sent the message to them.

Check settings > messages > send & receive to see which addresses are listed.

Feb 5, 2014 4:17 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Ok, shall I start with my MBP? If so, here's the info:

MBP 15" early 2011 OS X 10.8.5 Messages App 7.0.1

messages app on MBP/Preferences/

1) General/ default IM application - Messages.app is selected

2) Accounts/

- account 1: moniker1 says iMessage underneath

- account 2: says bonjour (inactive)

For account 1: Apple ID is listed, signed in, and is checked "enabled"

Below that, it says

I can be reached for messages at 4 places and all are checked. They are:

a phone number and 3 email addresses. However, these 3 email addresses are just my original mac.com address. I was told I could use mac.com and not add me.com and then iCloud.com.

I clicked through to my details and the 3 addresses are verified. Also listed is 1 alternate Apple ID (added by Apple, I assume when moving to me.com). I understood that it was there but I didn't have to use it, it was just there for a formality.

Send read receipts is unchecked.

For "Start new conversations from" I selected my phone number.

My intention all along was to keep my account organized but somehow new names for me have popped up all over!

Can I provide more clues?

I've only recently started using messages and have changed the settings due to the confusion

I've only recently started using messages and have changed the settings due to the confusion

Can't get my accounts straight!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.