Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd problem with importing file Aliases

I have encountered a "strange" problem importing file aliases. First of all some background. I have several different groupings of photos taken by different cameras of a summer vacation. I wanted to keep the photo types separate but also merged. So I created a "merged summer folder" and stuffed it with aliases of the original photos. I thought I could just import the aliases into FCPX. But no, I got the originals also!

My probem is how do I clean up this mess! I sure could use some suggestions.

Thanks,

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Radeon Sapphire 7950

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 3:14 PM

13 replies

Feb 3, 2014 4:04 PM in response to WilliamL

It looks like you had one folder with a lot of other folders inside it with a few images in each. Is that right? And you selected the top folder St Jean de Pamplona and imported with folders to make keyword collections. That's the result you get. Each folder is a separate keyword collection. St Jean contains all the clips and the other collections the clips you organized them into. The media of course is not duplicate.

Feb 3, 2014 4:58 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom, I am not sure I would agree with that. I only selected/imported the St. Jean to Pamplona folder. Sure it had folders inside that were keyed to dates, but collection titled "August 14 - Paris France" is not a folder inside the St. Jean to Pamplona folder. It has the original media. The St. Jean to Pamplona is the folder with the aliases. I still think FCPX, in addition to the aliases, grabbed the orginal folder/media/

Feb 3, 2014 5:03 PM in response to WilliamL

The aliases point to other folders, which is where the media resides. The application can't work out which folders you want and which you don't want. It recreates all the folders. Not sure what's wrong with the structure other than it seems a little overly complex. Not sure what benefit the alias folder structure is for you, unless it benefits other applications.

Odd problem with importing file Aliases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.