Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion template causing FCPX to crash over and over

I have had an instance or two where a Motion "template" cause FCPX to flop, but nothing like this.

I've made a graphics package in Motion (opener, closer, 3rd template, chapter bumpers) that is giving my FCPX fits!

How can I fix it?!

Where in the crash log do I find the relevant info that can help somwonw help me fix it?!

How did I get into this spot, and is there some practice I should avoid or adopt in order to ensure smooth interoperability between Motion and FCPX?!

Motion 5, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 3:17 PM

8 replies

Feb 3, 2014 3:33 PM in response to CoralVision

it goes something like this:

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[OZChanFolderController enableItemForValue:isEnabled:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x6180005316c0'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

Feb 4, 2014 8:04 AM in response to CoralVision

When Motion crashes, a crash report window should appear. From there, you want to look for the line that says "Crashed Thread:" followed by the number. That's what might tell you where the crash happened, you can then look through the report for the thread number listed to see if you can identify any useful information.

Besides that, have you tried publishing versions of the template with various elements disabled to determine the problem? That's where I would start. If you think it's the particles, save a version with those disabled or deleted, then publish and see if you still hit the crash in FCPX. Since we can't see all of your settings, or setup, it's hard for anyone to give you possible solution, without details about what the project contains(text, particles, video, lighting & shadows, etc.), what the settings are (depth of field, motion blur, etc.) That said, a final option is, if you can, to post a download to the template that someone could download and try on another system.

Feb 4, 2014 11:06 AM in response to GFXZen

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

---

It doesn't seem to be the elements within the title, but rather the card itself: all of the generators of this theme are giving the same fail: whenever I drag a new instance into the timeline the clip freezes (doesn't settle down into position as a connected clip). Spinny wheel, and immediate crash. Sometimes the apprestarts and remembers where the card was dropped, sometimes it doesn't. Then sometimes it doesn't crash until I try to play through the card. Doesn't seem to matter whether it is rendered or not.

I will try to test some of you suggestions.

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2014 1:43 PM in response to CoralVision

Observation: I tried changing the elements in order to isolate the problem by deselecting and resaving the templates, leaving out the background elements, and again leaving out the text elements. Neither version (text w/o background and vice-versa) changed the behavior. I did not (yet) go so far as to delete one or the other group of elements.

sigh.

Feb 4, 2014 3:00 PM in response to CoralVision

update: in the next round I found that if I fully delete the text layer then the crash repeats less reliebly.

THEN, BREAKTHROUGH! I closed the inspector in FCPX. No crashing for 5 or 10 minutes now...

Hypothesis - problem relates to the text layer (unpublished text entered in motion) and the FCP inspector, which would explain why the crash happens immediately upon selecting the card/clip in the timeline.

Feb 5, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Jim - This is quite likely, but of course is still unacceptible. I started with a wacky text style template and then customized that, like I was looking for trouble or something.

At the moment I am limping through the rest of the edit (doing my audio pass right now) without keeping the inspector on screen. FCP is not crashing, but is still limping badly, hanging with spinny balls for 2-10 seconds after nearly every selection or keyboard command.

Anyway, what is "font book?"

Motion template causing FCPX to crash over and over

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.