Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SONNET PCIe USB CARD NOT WORKING IN MAC PRO EARLY 2009

Hello

i'm running a MacPro Early 2009 on Mavericks and i'm trying to get a Sonnet PCIe USB 2.0 card installed.

the card appears in the system information when I install it but any device I plug on it is not recognized, as if it lacked power.

tried reseting PRAM, changing slots, emptying caches, anything I found on the web...nothing worked

so what could cause a power shortage to the card ? any way to check if the system monitor if power actually reches the card ?

i've bought the card a while ago, before mavericks, problem was the same with previous OS X versions

thanks for your help

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 5:19 PM

16 replies

Mar 28, 2017 2:54 PM in response to Johnb-one

A bit late, but this page (link below) says

'The easiest way to power the card is to run a cable from the optical drive area. If you only have one optical drive in there then there will be a spare, combined SATA data and power socket available and you can tap into that using a SATA to female Molex cable. However, if you have already used the spare cable to power an SSD, as I illustrated in Part V, you will need to use a cable splitter to provide power for the USB3 card.'

and plenty more

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2013/07/12/mac-pro-2009-part-xiv-2/

Feb 3, 2014 9:21 PM in response to vinceabbraccio

Support Note for Mac Users:

Please install the Sonnet Allegro USB 3.0 PCIe card in a recommended slot:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010, Early 2009, Early 2008) - Use only slot 3 or 4.

Pre-2008 Mac Pro - Use any available slot.

The same might apply for the USB 2.0 card...

If the card still doesn't work in the recommended slot,

You might have to ask for a replacement.

Feb 5, 2014 8:59 AM in response to vinceabbraccio

Threads like this, I look back, and t here is NO mention of the specific device you are connecting.

Under best of circumstances, bus powered drives, those 2.5" type like a WD Passport, are trouble.

Always choose an external that has its own power.

Sonnet Allegro - at leat the new USB3 - does not support use to connect to a hub or non-storage devices (SD cards, tablets and cell phones and others)

Feb 5, 2014 1:24 PM in response to The hatter

power supply is "just" the secondary problem, as ANY device i plug in is not recongized, even a keyboard, a mouse or such

for example, i used to use a USB hub, it didnot handle power supply but when i plugged an iPod, iPhone, iPad, at least the iDevice appeared in the USB buses system information and could be synced, if not charged.

there with the sonnet card, it's just like the USB ports don't work AT ALL

if the card did not appear in the system information, i'd definitely believe it's broken

Aug 13, 2015 7:46 AM in response to vinceabbraccio

I'm having the problem with the WD Passport external portable drives and I noticed in this thread that the issue is likely the mac pro not delivering enough voltage to the drive. I think the responder hit the nail on the head. My drive works fine on my macbook pro which does deliver more voltage and power drives do work with the card, but not connected to the card. So it looks like this problem is unfixable for those who bought it for connecting portable drives that are not powered externally like the WD passport.

SONNET PCIe USB CARD NOT WORKING IN MAC PRO EARLY 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.