Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extendind a network with an airport Extreme and a TimeCapsule (new extreme)

I have a Timecapsule in the basement and have hard wired an extreme to it upstairs. I have my iMac hardwired to the Timecapsule (802.11ac version). I have the extreme set up to extend the network.

My problem is the iMac connected to the TimeCapsule just hangs. Network works fine for a few minutes then just hangs.

If I unplug the Extreme, the iMac comes back and is working fine.

My set up looks just like:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

Except that on the primary base station I have an iMac also plugged in.

Can I not plug in my iMac on the primary router that another extended router is plugged into?

Does my iMac need to be plugged into the extended basestation (on the end) ?

Thanks,

Mike

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 5:54 PM

5 replies

Feb 3, 2014 6:42 PM in response to Michael Grabenstein

Well I tried resetting both and reversing their connection (primary became extended and vice versa). I took the switch out of the picture and same thing has happened. Once I use the set up for a few minutes and then the iMac stops getting traffic.

Right now I unplugged the wire to the extended base station and the iMac is working fine. Extended base station is connected wirelessly.

Why does this work flawlessly wirelessly, but dies once I connect an ethernet wire.

Thanks,

Mike

Feb 3, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Michael Grabenstein

Why does this work flawlessly wirelessly, but dies once I connect an ethernet wire.

In a nutshell, you have to start from a factory default condition on the device that you want to use to extend.

Then, make the Ethernet connection

Then, configure the device

You can not setup the device to extend (using wireless) and then connect an Ethernet cable to the device.....that will cause a feedback loop and crash. And, you cannot connect using Ethernet and then try to configure the device to "extend a wireless network". That will cause a crash as well.

The setup is virtually automatic using OS X 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9....or an iPad or iPhone. That document you are looking at is old....and confusing. Set it aside.

Post back if you need a few tips or step by step.

Feb 3, 2014 7:19 PM in response to Michael Grabenstein

Apple does not make it easy.

To "extend" a network using Ethernet, you do not choose the "extend" setting on the extending device.

A good tip to remember is that whenver you connect to an Apple router using Ethernet, you have to use the "create a wireless network" setting.

We have asked Apple for an "extend using wireless" and an "extend using Ethernet" setting for years. They are deaf.

Fortunately, the new 6.x utility will set up everything for you automatically in most cases.

Extendind a network with an airport Extreme and a TimeCapsule (new extreme)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.