Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme (new) with bridge

Hello!

I am a college student and am having some wireless speed issues. My ISP provides me with 50-55MB down, however, that is restricted on some of my devices because they have to operate on the 2.4 GHz frequency. My router is the new AC wireless Apple Airport Extreme.

Here's the breakdown: I, along with a roommate, live in an apartment, where WiFi is horrid on the 2.4 GHz frequency. The signal strength isn't too horrific, but that's not the issue. Here's an example - devices on the 5GHz signal always receive over 50MB down (like my Macbook Pro), but devices on the 2.4GHz signal, regardless of channel, get less than 2MB down, sometimes less than 1...

I am writing this because I just recently purchased a PS4, which only operates on the 2.4 GHz signal. I receive unbearably slow connection, again, less than 2MB down. I would like to fix my network so that those devices, via some sort of bridge, could connect via ethernet at the full speed (or at least improved).

I do have the last-gen Airport Extreme (N-wireless), in which I was using as an extender, followed by ethernet to those devices. The signal strength on Airport Utility regarding the signal between the router and the extender was listed as excellent, however, the speed was still less than 2 MB down on any of those devices including my Macbook Pro.

Is there anything I can do? Third party bridge? I would hopefully like to avoid purchasing another AC wireless Airport Extreme...

Thank you!

-Nick

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 7:46 PM

4 replies

Feb 3, 2014 8:26 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have just reset the old router and reconfigured it to those specifications. I then plugged in an ethernet to the old router to test the speed. I am receiving 8MB down, which is better, but still is not 50.

Are there any settings on the old router to configure besides extend wireless network set to the 5GHz signal from the new base station? Is there any way to check the signal between the two access points?

Yes, PS4 does have an ethernet port.

Feb 3, 2014 8:38 PM in response to nickfoss32

Sorry, but it sounds like wireless there is just a bit above hopeless. The 2.4 GHz signals are messing things up, since both routers use 2.4 GHz as well and is wrecking the bandwidth on the entire network.

Any chance that you could run an Ethernet cable from the new Extreme to an Ethernet switch in the area where you need connections?

Unfortunately, your situation is shared by many. A good friend of mine recently moved into a new complex and the wireless there is just hopeless. He has turned off wireless and just connects using an Ethernet cable.

Airport Extreme (new) with bridge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.