Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 17 2010 fan not keeping up with temperate increase.

I have a macbook pro 17 2010 i7 with 8gb ram running mavericks 10.9.1. I have istat menu installed and been using it since mountain lion. Even before I upgraded to mavericks I've had this issue with my fans staying at 2000 rpm even though my temp is at 170-190 ºF. I would have to manually adjust it to medium or high in istat menu to lower the temperature. This is just under normal usuage with firefox ( i do understand safari is the best browser that doesn't take a lot of the laptops resources), or if I load up iPhotos my temp spikes. Before, I wouldn't even have to worry about looking at my temps because I can hear the fan increase automatically (under heavy load with gaming). Lately its been to silent even at 190ºF and thats when I been paying attention to the temps even more.

What i've done to try to resolve this issue but with no success:

Took apart bottom cover and vacuumed out the fan, ducts, grills, keyboard, and any dust that was there.

reset SMC

restored computer to factory settings with snow leopard, upgraded to mountain lion and lastly mavericks

Below is what my status bar says about my system as of right now.

Temp is at 130ºF and cpu usage is only at 9%

User uploaded file

Can someone help me resolve this issue? I just want the fan to automatically increase as the temp increased like before.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 8:43 PM

There are no replies.

Macbook Pro 17 2010 fan not keeping up with temperate increase.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.