Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi sync starts then stops

iTunes doesn't see my iPhone 5s as being on the same network except for about 10s when iTunes first starts up. It sees it, tries to sync, then it stops (sometimes iTunes gets locked up) and then the iPhone disappears from next to the library and then it's gone. I've worked with with Norton and both Bonjour and all the Apple devices seem ok in the firewall... I am not sure what to try.

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 9:26 PM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2014 5:02 AM in response to John Langston

Strange, after I logged in to this site, I can no longer read this message (the text doesn't show). However I have what sounds like the same problem. iTunes shows the "iPhone" button with the swirly progress indicator for about 5-10 seconds, while the phone's Sync Now button is enabled, but then it disappears from iTunes and is not connected. I have tried disabling the Norton firewall to no avail (but if it was a firewall issue I would think it would not connect...).

Mar 2, 2014 10:43 AM in response to SteveYates

Never mind about the message display, it looks fine now. Perhaps just a temporary thing. (Aside: Is anyone else bothered that after signing in Apple doesn't redirect back to the page from which you signed in?)

After quite some troubleshooting I found if I uninstalled the antivirus (Symantec.cloud, which is basically Norton Internet Security on non-Servers) and turned off Windows Firewall, it still won't connect/sync. I get the same 10 seconds or so of starting, then it disconnects/disappears from iTunes. At that point I am not able to ping the phone.

Further if I ping my phone, my wife's 5s, or our iPad 2 (iOS 7) I usually get "Destination host unreachable" or "Request timed out" until I do something on my phone. Pinging to an old 3GS works every time. So it seems like iOS 7 is either turning off networking when it thinks it is not being used, or perhaps throwing up a firewall of its own until the networking is in use. That may or may not be relevant but in the end if the Symantec software is not installed that's not the problem...the problem would seem to be with iTunes/iOS 7/iPhone 5s.

wifi sync starts then stops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.