Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS update installed passcode and now I'm locked out of my ipad

Ok, heres the issue. My mom gave me her old Ipad and when I updated to the new IOS it installed a passcode on to the Ipad where there had not been one installed before the update. I've tried everything to try and unlock it but nothing has worked. I've put the Ipad into recovery mode and tried to recover it by syncing into itunes, and that seems that it might work. But my recovery time is 3 hours and before it can finish the Ipad has rebooted into the normal lock screen. I've tried restoring the back up but a message keeps popping up that I need to go into the icloud settings on the ipad and turn off the find my ipad feature. I can't do this beacuse I'm locked out of the ipad. I've tried everything short of taking it to an apple store and seeing if they can do anything about it, however I really would like to keep from driving an hour and a half to the nearest apple store. Please does anybody out there have any idea on how to fix this problem.

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 9:34 PM

8 replies

Feb 3, 2014 9:35 PM in response to midnightarrow

FORCE IPAD INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Turn off iPad

2. Turn on computer and launch iTune (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)

3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port

4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port. Do not release button until you see picture of iTune and plug (very important)

5. Release Home button.

ON COMPUTER

6. iTune has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTune.

7. Select "Restore iPad"...

Note: Data will be lost

Feb 4, 2014 8:00 AM in response to midnightarrow

What kind of screen comes up when you are asked for the "passcode?"

Is it a numerical keypad or something else.

The reason I ask this is because farther along in your OP you say that you get a message saying, "go in iCloud and turn off the find my iPad feature." This indicates to me ythat the iPad is asking for the original owners Apple ID and password. If this is the case you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using a stolen or lost iPad or iPhone. You have no alternative. No must have the original owner, your mom, give you permission to use the device by her entering her Apple ID and password or by clearing the device from her iCloud account. If she cannot do this you will never be able to activate the device and no one can help you do it.

IOS update installed passcode and now I'm locked out of my ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.