Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer has no password, but it just locked me out, what do I do?

My computer shut down due to low battery. When I plugged it back in and turned it on, it asked me for a password. I have no password on my computer but it's saying I have one. I've tried every password I've ever used on my computer and it won't work. It then told me I can use my apple id to reset my password, but when I tried that it told me my credentials were wrong. They're not, obviously, because I logged in here no problem.

What do I do?

I can't reset my computer because I've haven't backed it up in awhile, and I have many things on it I can NOT afford to lose.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 1:08 AM

If you're running one of the OS's listed below...

Resetting User Password in Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks

Boot into your Recovery Partition by holding down the Command and R keys whilst booting.

When the Recovery screen appears, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal.

In Terminal, type:

resetpassword

...a small app will open and allow you to choose the user for whom you want to change the password. If you are the admin, be certain that you choose your admin user. Type in your new password twice and give yourself a good hint. Click OK (or Done or whatever) and reboot, enjoying the use of your new, hopefully memorable, password.

Good luck,

Clinton

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2014 1:08 AM in response to MLRagan

If you're running one of the OS's listed below...

Resetting User Password in Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks

Boot into your Recovery Partition by holding down the Command and R keys whilst booting.

When the Recovery screen appears, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal.

In Terminal, type:

resetpassword

...a small app will open and allow you to choose the user for whom you want to change the password. If you are the admin, be certain that you choose your admin user. Type in your new password twice and give yourself a good hint. Click OK (or Done or whatever) and reboot, enjoying the use of your new, hopefully memorable, password.

Good luck,

Clinton

My computer has no password, but it just locked me out, what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.