Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add placeholder text in Numbers

I want to add placeholder text in cells on a spreadsheet but I am not able to select the option in the drop down menu.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 2:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 11:47 AM

I achieved the placeholder view I desired simply by making use of the 'wrap text in cell' option!

This was my desired look:

User uploaded file

To achieve this I created 3 columns

User uploaded file

In column 'B' I would type my "placeholder" text. I would recommend tapping the spacebar twice before typing to give a little bit of empty space at the beginning of the cell.

Next make sure that 'Wrap text in cell' option is turned off for all cells in column 'B'

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

and the Alignment is set to left

Remove the border between column 'B' and 'C'

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

and make column 'B' as small as you can, you'll notice the text will spill over into column 'C' making it look as though it is within a cell in column 'C'

User uploaded file

However, clicking on the area where the "placeholder" text is will provide you with a cell in column 'C' and will disable the text from column 'B' from appearing

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2017 11:47 AM in response to lrpasley

I achieved the placeholder view I desired simply by making use of the 'wrap text in cell' option!

This was my desired look:

User uploaded file

To achieve this I created 3 columns

User uploaded file

In column 'B' I would type my "placeholder" text. I would recommend tapping the spacebar twice before typing to give a little bit of empty space at the beginning of the cell.

Next make sure that 'Wrap text in cell' option is turned off for all cells in column 'B'

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

and the Alignment is set to left

Remove the border between column 'B' and 'C'

and make column 'B' as small as you can, you'll notice the text will spill over into column 'C' making it look as though it is within a cell in column 'C'

User uploaded file

However, clicking on the area where the "placeholder" text is will provide you with a cell in column 'C' and will disable the text from column 'B' from appearing

Feb 4, 2014 5:05 AM in response to Wayne Contello

I want a cell to have something written in it like, "temperature", "machine 1 value" etc that would disappear when a value is tyed in that cell,but would be there if the cell was blank or the value was deleted. I am trying to make a template for other users to use so that the cell needing the input would have placeholder text to guide them on what is needed.

May 11, 2014 9:09 AM in response to lrpasley

If I understand what you are looking to do:

User uploaded file

To become like this when data is entered:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Make the cell transparent with a text field behind it. Set Conditional Highlighting to fill the cell with a color (matching your bacground color: i.e: White) when the cell is not empty.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Problems with this approach:

If you move the table or resize the cells, you will have to move the text also.

Also, while the cell is seclected, the text behind it is visible until after the user exits the cell.

Hope this is useful or gets you started with some other ideas!

May 11, 2014 10:11 AM in response to lrpasley

Or you could try this:

Paste the placeholder text into the cell(s) as a background image (I grabbed a screenshot of text from MacLOv3r's post, and dragged that into A1):

User uploaded file

Then I added a Conditional Highlighting rule that applies a Custom Style with white background (scroll to the bottom to get the Custom Style choice) when the cell is not blank:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Now, when I enter a temperature, my entry shows up and the placeholder text disappears.

User uploaded file

SG

Feb 25, 2015 7:36 PM in response to lrpasley

The repliers to your question don't seem to understand that there is an actual feature called Placeholder Text (Format>Advanced>Define As Text Placeholder)

I'm having the same problem as you in that it is not always selectable. I watched a Lynda.com video saying that the text not the cell should be selected but it's still grayed out.

Add placeholder text in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.