Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I automate Time Machine?

I oversee a suite of 25 iMacs running 10.6.8 with the combo update installed. For some reason, when setting up time machine, I cannot turn it 'ON' as it's greyed out, so automatic backups won't happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Update Combo is installed

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 4:18 AM

7 replies

Feb 4, 2014 4:31 AM in response to MacFail

Automating Time Machine is not a good idea. Its archived backups wipe themselves out each subsequent backup it can't find space to maintain them. You would actually need indefinite space on your backup drive to avoid that happening. It helps having at least twice the capacity on your backup as your original to avoid too much initial data loss if data is frequently changed on the original. Furthermore, an automated Time Machine backup does not give you the opportunity to backup to a second destination. It is better to restore your Time Machine backup to a second drive occasionally, in case the machine loses its hard drive, because you never know Time Machine backup's own consisntancy until a restore is attempted. And if its consistancy fails, you are left with nothing.

How can I automate Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.