Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ORANGE / EE REFUSE to unlock iphone 4s

I have an Iphone 4s that my network (Orange/EE) say they cannot unlock and that I need to refer to Apple for unlocking. Contract has ended.

Orange/EE basically are refusing to unlock the handset due to the place I purchased it from (phones 4u) they say Phones 4u should unlock it, but they dont do that AND I purchased another iphone 4s the same month from Phones 4u on an orange contract which amazingly was unlocked by Orange 3 weeks ago !!!

Orange do not have an answer for how they managed/agreed to unlock one handset but cannot do this one.

I am so angry that a network can lock you into them just because its their poilicy.

HELP !!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 5:19 AM

8 replies

Feb 4, 2014 8:16 AM in response to varjak paw

BUT they contracdict there policy/decision as they have UNLOCKED another hand set bought from the same shop the week before.

What is so annoying is that they have no valid explanation and keep trying to pass me onto anyone else.

As I have paid my bill and the contract is over, surely this handset is actually mine, isnt that what part of the contract/monthly payments are for.

I have spoken to supervisors who say the same repetitive thing and have NO reason not to unlock it other than I bought it at phones 4u. Obviously the phone wasnt hacked to unlock it, as it is still locked !

Feb 4, 2014 8:29 AM in response to JaneyLou

Obviously the phone wasnt hacked to unlock it, as it is still locked !

Not necessarily. Someone could have hacked it to use with a different carrier, and then after being restored it locked back to Orange but the hack left the phone not able to be unlocked. It's unlikely, I agree, but it's the only remotely rational reason I can think of for them refusing due to where it was purchased.

In any case, sorry, but this is completely up to Orange. If they refuse, there's nothing you can do. No one else can authorize unlocking, and that includes Apple, so if negotiations with Orange fail, your only option is to sell the iPhone to someone who can use it with Orange and buy an unlocked iPhone or one locked to the carrier you wish to use.

Regards.

Jun 4, 2014 3:37 AM in response to wegras

I too am extremely frustrated by Orange/EE. I am close to the end of my contract and have asked for my phone to be unlocked using the official procedure on the EE website. I need my phone to accept a different sim as I am going to an area of poor orange signal. I als want to swith to a lower tariff while I wait for the 6 to come out.

It has been more than 20 days since the request, so they are in breach of the their own terms. I have spent hours on the phone with different advisers, who make outragous claims bordering on lying. Several examples- it will be done in 72 hours (it wasn't). -it is 20 busines days (it doesn't say that). -you can't unlock an orange phone with the EE web form (not true - it quite cleary states how to unlock orange phones). - will will call you back on a certain day (doesn't happen). I could go on.....

I think that Mr Gillespie is incorrect as EE quite clearly states how they will unlock your phone- this is therefore a contractulal obligation if their terms are satisfied, it may not be criminal but certainly it is a contract and thus illegal not too honour it.

If this phone is not unlocked, I will be putting my evidence to the regulator.

Recently, I have had endless problems with my contract (which was a joint ipad, iphone one) with different people saying different things and making things incredibly complicated. Originally, I was going to upgrade with EE/orange but now after this experience I am going to leave at the end on my contract.

ORANGE / EE REFUSE to unlock iphone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.