Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I access Wiki Service using VPN?

I have set up OSX Server on a Mac Mini using OSX Mavericks with the OSX Server app. Everything is running fine; I can access the wiki hosted on the server from the local network on my computer in the office, and I can connect to the VPN service I set up from the outside via the internet using a DYNDNS address that resolves the dynamic IP and all the ports are forwarding correctly to the server.

However, I have no idea how I can access the Wiki Service remotely once the VPN connection is established. I connect to the VPN and all the logins go through with no issue, but I cannot load the wiki in the browser despite trying the designated LAN IP for the server (a static 192.168.1.199), the name of the server, and all kinds of other possible addresses or alias to connect including using the DNYDNS address.

The OSX Server automatically set up a DNS and I put that in the VPN DNS and the VPN has the priority on my laptop for resolving queries but it still cannot find the wiki service (it times out). After watching hours of youtube instructions and reading every forum and guide, they only take you to successfully connecting through VPN and not the next steps to getting the services to run over the VPN.😢

Could someone please help me to know what I am doing wrong or how to set this up?? I have a feeling I am missing something basic.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 5:46 AM

18 replies

Feb 4, 2014 5:18 PM in response to Linc Davis

The wiki server is working great at the office when I am directly on the LAN and it works on windows computers as well by typoing the IP on the LAN in a browser. I access it using the IP on the LAN which is something like 192.168.x.xxx (this is the static address set in the DHCP on the server).

As for pinging the server, how do I go about testing for that?

Thanks!!

Feb 4, 2014 9:03 PM in response to Linc Davis

Its not set up to be accessed through the internet, only through LAN and VPN. For VPN, I connect through DYNDNS to the IP of the server, and internal on the LAN the IPv4 Address is 192.168.x.xxx which is what I type into the browser to log in.

I am not sure what the website service is that you refer to (I have not set up a website on the server). The only firewal running is the Mac OSX firewall on the Mac Mini that has the server but that has not had any issues as far as I can tell.

Feb 4, 2014 10:16 PM in response to DpDimick

In a Terminal window, enter a command such as this:

telnet server.private 443

Substitute the internal domain name of the server for the one above. You should almost instantly get three lines of output below what you entered, the last of which is this:

Escape character is '^]'.

If there's no output within ten seconds, consider that a failure. If you get something different from the above, please post it in a reply. You can then quit Terminal.

Feb 7, 2014 3:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have a funny feeling that the problem isn’t in the server or configuration of DNS etc on it.

Even though you are connected to the VPN your browser on the client computer that you are connecting to the VPN with, is still going to it’s normal DNS server directly to perform DNS look-ups. NOT through the VPN and therefor it wont find it. You’ll need to set up your browser on the client to use the VPN tunnel for DNS look-ups.

What browser are you using?

Feb 8, 2014 4:59 AM in response to AdzR

The DNS of the VPN settings on the server is set to the server's own DNS. The DNS on the VPN client in OSX is set to the same DNS.

I use firefox and safari, both have the same problem but not sure what DNS they are using. I assume the server DNS since the VPN is set up to reference that.

On a strange note, when I login to the VPN on the office internet (which also has the server itself) and then login to the VPN with my laptop with the option of pushing all traffic through the VPN, I can login using the hpacco.private in the browser. Then, when I turn off the VPN it doesn't work and I have to use the LAN address of 192.168.x.xxx .

But then when I use the same laptop and login to the VPN from my house, and use the same hpacco.private in the browser, its stops working and times out.

Any idea what would cause this?

How do I access Wiki Service using VPN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.