Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod nano 7th gen isnt identified properly

I have iTunes 11.1.4 installed on my Windows 8 computer and it has been working in the past but now, when I plug my iPod in, it comes up with a mesage saying:

"An IPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the IPod, then try it again. If the problem persists, please uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again."

I've already tried using different USB ports and unplugging everything. I have tried just simply unplugging and plugging it in again. I do not have the option to 'Safely Remove: Hardware' because my computer not itunes doesnt recognize my iPod at all. I have tried restarting my computer and manually shutting it down, waiting a bit, then turning it back on. Nothing works.

Do I need to get a new iPod or something?

iPod nano, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 9:49 AM

7 replies

Feb 4, 2014 5:22 PM in response to sara.joy

Hi there - I've spoken with Apple and here is their response (worked for me). You need to uninstall not only iTunes, but also (in this order):

1) iTunes

2) Apple Software Update

3) Apple Mobile Device Support

4) Bonjour

5) Apple Application Support

Then you restart your computer.

Then you install the latest version of iTunes (which will reinstall all those things you uninstalled).

Then you restart your computer again.

Mine is working perfectly again now.

I hope it works for you,

Carmen.

Sep 22, 2015 5:10 AM in response to sara.joy

if you tried completely everything, and it hasn't worked.

i updated ALL of my drivers, reset my ipod multiple times; restarted my laptop multiple times.
but wat worked for me was simple go to "uninstall programs" in control panel
once the programs r listed, look for iTunes and right click and click repair.

believe me,i tried everything, plugging and unplugging in all USB ports.

hopefully it works for you

I'm using windows 10 with a 7th gen ipod nano

(i was about to uninstall iTunes because that's wat was left to do,but then just clicked repair.so i didn't need to uninstall)

My iPod nano 7th gen isnt identified properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.