Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

there is no way to save a PDF in preview anymore

What happened to this software?????????

I used to be able to drag pdf pages from one file to another and then save the PDF with multiple pages. This feature has apparently been removed since I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Preview and other preloaded software is the ONLY reason that I use Mac and not PC machines. If Preview is not restored to its previous level of functionality, I will be going back to PC's and I suggest that everyone else do the same. The changes made to OSX since Mountain Lion have been so bad and so poorly thought out. I cant even operate this machine any more, things like the "app store" are so offensive by their very nature that it angers me to even look at a Mac anymore.

I digress... right now I just need to know how to save a file and I hope someone reads this and wonders why they are so bad at creating software that someone would even have to ask this question........

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 9:32 AM

7 replies

Feb 4, 2014 11:18 AM in response to ajdolby

Nothing comes up in my help that addresses the issue.

right now I just need to know how to save a file

It should have.

User uploaded file

You could have just said, "**** you", it would have been a little bit more intellegent of a response.

Not very nice to font to someone who was trying to help you out. You originally posted in the wrong forum - Snow Leopard. Your post was moved by a HOST to the proper forum - Mountain Lion.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2014 12:14 PM in response to Lanny

Except that does not work.

Maybe you should try it before you copy paste someone else's work and sit back self satisfied.

I am able to insert additional pages into a Preview PDF document but when I save it will only save whatever page I happen to be looking at at the moment I hit save or "export" as it is for some reason now known. There is no "Save As" option in Preview anymore because the people who "upgraded" the software didn't bother to think about how people use software.

Feb 27, 2014 3:14 AM in response to ajdolby

Hey, there is still a way to this in lion and above(not tested). Just tried this in Lion:

1. Merge the files as given in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4075
  2. Instead of 'Save As' (which is not there anymore), go to File -> Print or Command + P
  3. In the Print window/drop down/dialog, in the bottom left, you'll see PDF options, where you'll get the option to 'Save as PDF'
  4. Select that Save as PDF option and Save it, Done!🙂

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3205503?answerId=15958969022#15958969022

Apr 12, 2014 6:42 PM in response to bool.dev

That actually worked!!

So all that stuff in the Help menu is 100% fiction. You used to be able to drag pdf pages into a pdf in the thumbnail view and then Save As and you'd have a pdf booklet! It was amazing, you had to pay two year's salary for clunky software on a PC to do the same function... For some reason, in Mountain Lion, Apple vandalized the Preview program and that does not work anymore.

The Help menu says you simply have to do an additional 5 steps to accomplish the same thing, these steps involve Insert, Blank Page. However, this button is always dim and serves no purpose- its a prank button.

Now in Preview you actually have to drag the pages together and then Print, Save as a PDF. When you do that the pages come in all rotated and wacked out and you have to spend another few minutes reformatting the document that you just reformatted before you did a Print.

Great work, guys.

there is no way to save a PDF in preview anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.