Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert RAW to JPEG in iPhoto

Good afternoon,

I'm attempting to clear hard drive space and realized I have 2,000+ photos in RAW format in my iPhoto library. Is there a way that I can convert all of these to JPEGs within iPhoto 9 and delete the RAW files without having to reorganize them back into events and such? I've changed the way I manage my photos these days - these are all quite old so I don't mind losing the RAW. Plus I have them backed up on my Time Machine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any responses.

Best,

Taylor

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 4 GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 256 MB

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 10:27 AM

8 replies

Feb 4, 2014 10:38 AM in response to WasabiTaylor

No

For iphoto to work it must have the original (in your case the RAW)

If that is not what you want then you should not shoot RAW - or you should not use iPhoto (or maybe both)

And if you think that haveing them backedup on Time Machine is an archive you are in for a nasty surprise - Time Machine is a backup system which keeps a limited amount of historical data (amount is detern=mined by available disk space) and then delete the oldest data - it is not an archive system

There are progrtams out there that claim to be able to do this - DO NOT USE THEM if you care about your photos - there is no way to do what you want if you use iPhoto

You can run iPhoto with th elibrary on an extrnal hard drive --

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

You can also keep a smaller version of the library on your internal drive and use iPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - to move photos between the two libraries

LN

LN

Apr 21, 2014 10:18 AM in response to WasabiTaylor

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I suppose I'll have to just export as JPGs and reimport. It shouldn't take too long to redo all of the faces, places and ratings.

I use Lightroom now to manage my RAW files and after editing, I export them to JPG and import into my iPhoto library so I can take advantage of Photostream and such. I generally only keep the RAW files for photos I think I may go back to to make additional edits. But before I started using Lightroom, I imported literally every RAW photo I ever took into iPhoto and it just takes up a lot of space.

Thanks so much for the help.

Convert RAW to JPEG in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.