Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

applemac pro wont boot in safe mode, verbose mode, install DVD, NOTHING

My MacBook Pro 17" starts up in verbose mode, goes to the blue screen but then immediately goes back to verbose mode. It then immediately flashes up an error

which is that quick it's impossible to read but ends: "login window application started threaded auth" and "already had outstanding read pending - just ignored" that's all I can read. This is then repeated constantly. Will not accept any start up key combinations (never has) will not boot from DVD, will not boot from Target Disk Mode (can access this but it won't accept the password). Tried everything I know except booting from another mac and my daughter now won't let me near it. Please can anyone help. The machine runs OSX 10.5.8 after updates

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 11:14 AM

24 replies

Feb 5, 2014 5:59 AM in response to Steve cheetham

Steve cheetham wrote:

Hi Neville, If you hold down the "Alt" (UK term! Ha) on start up (MacBook Pro) you can enter a password and choose which Disk to use as Start up. I 100% know this password but the machine now refuses to accept it. Maybe " target disk" is an incorrect title.

There is something wrong with your description.

Holding the alt or option key at boot should allow you to select a volume without entering a password. The request for a password come later.

If you want help you will have to try to be more accurate.

Feb 4, 2014 2:19 PM in response to Steve cheetham

Hi Steve,

Have you done/can you do a PRAM reset, CMD+Option+p+r...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

In fact, do 3 in a row, takes a bit of time.

Does it boot to Single User Mode, CMD+s keys at bootup, if so try...

/sbin/fsck -fy

Repeat until it shows no errors fixed.

(Space between fsck AND -fy important).

Does it show boot manager if you hold alt or option key at bootup?

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Sorry if you tried all these, just trying to be sure.

Feb 5, 2014 6:04 AM in response to Steve cheetham

Steve cheetham wrote:

Hi BDAqua, Please don't apologize as I am open to any suggestions. Yes I have tried PDRAM, SMC you name it resets, but unfortunately no keyboard inputs seem to be recognized and never has on this machine (something I meant to investigate but you know how it is, mmmmm hindsight! Ha)

What is PDRAM?

Are you saying that you cannot reset PRAM as follows?

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

If not please explain exactly what happens.

Feb 5, 2014 6:12 AM in response to Steve cheetham

Steve cheetham wrote:

Oh and Neville, I have used Macs for years but never dared to boot from another machine for fear of affecting aforementioned (or never had a FireWire cable to hand) What a wimp ha.

Please look up 'Target Disk Mode' on Google and print out the instructions. If your Mac has FireWire you should try and find another Mac with FireWire and a FireWire cable compatible with both Macs so that you can use Target Disk Mode if necessary.

What Mac equipment do you have access to?

Do you have important data on your Mac which has not been backed up to an external disk?

Have you tried inserting the original install DVD and booting with the c key down?

Feb 5, 2014 6:29 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

Hi, I have access to a MacBook running something like 10.6.3 but at the moment no FireWire cable. I do have important data on the machine but it is partitioned and safe. Yes I have tried booting from DVD but it refuses to start from this disk no matter what keys I Hold down. In other words it does not react to any keyboard input except the option key, admitted this is the first Mac I have ever come across with this problem and this I something I should have investigated whilst everything was fine but never got round to it.

Feb 5, 2014 6:36 AM in response to Steve cheetham

Steve cheetham wrote:

Hi, I have access to a MacBook running something like 10.6.3 but at the moment no FireWire cable. I do have important data on the machine but it is partitioned and safe. Yes I have tried booting from DVD but it refuses to start from this disk no matter what keys I Hold down. In other words it does not react to any keyboard input except the option key, admitted this is the first Mac I have ever come across with this problem and this I something I should have investigated whilst everything was fine but never got round to it.

No data is safe if you cannot access it.

Do both Macs have FireWire ports and do they have FireWire 400 or 800?

Try another keyboard.

Feb 5, 2014 6:42 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

Ha accepted, will have to check the other mac for a FireWire port later, how can I if it has whether it is 400 or 800. I know my machine has firewire. Admitted never thought of using another keyboard, good idea alough the integrated keyboard works perfectly in all other applications. If my only option is the aforementioned I will have to get a FireWire cable I think the only one I have has USB at one end.

Feb 5, 2014 7:07 AM in response to Steve cheetham

Steve cheetham wrote:

Ha accepted, will have to check the other mac for a FireWire port later, how can I if it has whether it is 400 or 800. I know my machine has firewire. Admitted never thought of using another keyboard, good idea alough the integrated keyboard works perfectly in all other applications. If my only option is the aforementioned I will have to get a FireWire cable I think the only one I have has USB at one end.

Portables normally work OK with external keyboards and mice plugged into their USB ports.

It is easiest to check specifications for FW speed. The sockets and wires are different.

Please read: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

My advice is that firmware passwords and disk encryption are two things which are likely to cause you future difficulties.

applemac pro wont boot in safe mode, verbose mode, install DVD, NOTHING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.