Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is their a any way to make cell scearch another sheet

I have sheet with custermers and they all have idnumers

now when i make a Invioce is their any way that write on it the id and it tkae rest of information and fills in row

Thanks for any help

numbers

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 12:05 PM

4 replies

Feb 4, 2014 1:08 PM in response to newbie12sweden

One way is to use the VLOOKUP function. Here is a simple example to give you an idea:

User uploaded file

The formula in B2, copied right and down, is:

=VLOOKUP($A2,Customers::$A:$C,2,0)

You can find a description in Formula & Functions Help, but the basic idea is

VLOOKUP(

the value you want to look up, the range you want to look it up in, the column number in the range, exact match

).

SG

Feb 4, 2014 5:04 PM in response to newbie12sweden

Hi,

As you can see this is like a database program in the sense that you just need to enter the ID in column A of 'Invoice' and the rest of the columns of Invoice get their values automatically from the Customers table.

I suggest first getting the lookup working on one sheet, the same sheet as you have your Customers table on. Start small until you get the idea of how it works.

Once you've got it working on the same sheet, then you can move your Invoice table to a separate sheet. You do that by clicking the table, clicking the "bullseye" target up and to the left of the table, command-x to cut, move to the separate sheet, command-v to paste.

SG

Feb 5, 2014 1:01 AM in response to newbie12sweden

HI n12,

"I have a sheet with 400 so custermers they have id nummers but on a difrrent sheet like just write in custemers id and it get rest info..."

Numbers can do that, but only id the Table containing the Customer information is in the same Document as the Table containing the formula that is calling the information. The two Tables can be on separate Sheets, but must be in the same Document.

SG's suggestion to start with both Tables on the same Sheet is well taken. It simplifies the process of building the formulas. After creating the tables and writing the formulas, the Customer Details table may be moved to a separate Sheet within the same document. If doing so requires any changes to cell references in the formulas, Numbers will make those changes autmatically.

Here's an example that pulls the name, address, city name and postal code for the customer whose ID is entered in cell D2 into cells B2 to B5 of the Invoice table.

User uploaded file

Because the data to be transfered is listed in the same (column) order as it is to appear in the rows of the Invoice table, I was able to write a single formula to retrieve the information, then fill it down into the four cells where th information is to go.

Invoice::B2: =VLOOKUP(D$2,Customer Details :: $A:$E,ROW(),FALSE)

"FALSE" in the formula will appear in Numbers as "Exact-match", meaning the customer ID on the Lookup table (Customer Details) must exactly match the ID in cell D2 of the Invoice table.

ROW() returns the number of the row containing the formula. VLOOKUP uses this number to determine which column or Customer Details to return the information from to each cell.

Regards,

Barry

is their a any way to make cell scearch another sheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.