Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Slow Performance

Aperture 3 is running very slow on my MacBook Pro Retina 2012...I think a big factor might be that I have roughly 20,000 photos/videos in my library, and the library is stored on my external drive as a managed one. I have a WD 2TB Firewire 800 (I use a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter to use it) external...I know that Firewire 800 is extremely slow compared to USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. But is there any way I could boost Aperture's performance?

Every time I open up Aperture, it is "Processing". This will last easily 1-2 hours, making it barely useable. Most of the time it will give me a spinning rainbow wheel and I will have to force quit. Should I create separate libraries because mine is decently large? I really would like to keep all of my photos/videos in one location on my external, but if keeping everything on the local drive would be better, I can try that. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Aperture Questions

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 1:14 PM

3 replies

Feb 4, 2014 1:25 PM in response to gborden08

What is your Aperture 3 version? Have you updated to the latest version? If not, update to Aperture 3.5.1 for the best compatibility with MAvericks.

If you have Aperture 3.5, make sure your Preview preferences are set according to this support article: Aperture 3.5: Set "Share XML with other applications" to "Never" for better performance and faster quit times

Every time I open up Aperture, it is "Processing". This will last easily 1-2 hours, making it barely useable.

You may have imported corrupted videos or image files, that cause Aperture to continually try to create previews. Is Aperture more responsive, when you launch it with the Shift-key held down? That is a sure sign for problematic content in the library. Try, if removing your last import from the library fixes this. (see: How to Screen an Aperture Library for Corrupted Image Files or Videos)

Or the internal libraries in your Aperture library need repairing. Try the First Aid Tools: See: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

-- Léonie

Aperture Slow Performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.