Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a pif file opened in winzip on the iPhone infect my windows 7 computer when I sync the phone? I deleted the win zip app as soon as I realized the file was a virus

I was expecting a fax from a physician. I got the efax scam letter the same day:-(. I am on vacation and opened the email and downloaded the zip file. I opened the zip file in winzip on the iPhone 5s and was presented with a pif file that win zip, adobe and good reader could not open. I realized too late that this was a spam mail. I deleted the winzip app and hope that I also deleted the pif file as well. Is there a potential to transfer this pif file to my windows 7 computer when I get home from vacation and sync my phone using iTunes. Is there anything I should be doing besides deleting win zip??? Should I delete good reader and adobe as well and then reinstall after the initial sync??

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 6:03 PM

Unless your phone was jailbroken, you've nothing to worry about.

4 replies

Feb 4, 2014 6:04 PM in response to bladessf

If you deleted the file and the email and then reboot the iPhone by holding both the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears, ignore the red slider if that appears, you should be pretty sure it has been deleted from the system and the memory.

Unless the iPhone has been hacked or jailbroken it is pretty much impossible to infect the iOS.

When you sync back to the Windows 7 machine, just run a virus scan on the iTunes library to see if anything shows up. Not likely but can't hurt.

Can a pif file opened in winzip on the iPhone infect my windows 7 computer when I sync the phone? I deleted the win zip app as soon as I realized the file was a virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.