Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchasing my next iMac

I am in the process of configuring my next desktop computer. Currently, I am using a Mid 2007 24" iMac (4GB RAM [max] and 1TB HD) and am looking to replace it. My requirements are not too special. The one thing that I am constrained with on my current iMac is video work. I am not a heavy video editor, but I would like to become the next level (from noob) up. I have a GoPro camera that I enjoy capturing video with, but it is choppy on playback from my iMac. I also have thousands of photos and a ton of music. But neither of those are overly taxing. I also use all the standard office and internet type apps. I do not have any musical ability at all. I believe this may be my last 'regular' desktop with the pace and change of things (remember, my last iMac was from 2007).

So getting to my

Size

I love the size of the 24" and wish it still existed. I have decided on the 27" rather than the 21".

Chip

With the intent of future proofing (at least making it out of 2014), I will get the 3.5GHz i7.

RAM

Last one I bought, I updated via Crucial and saved a ton of money. Currently, Crucial 16GB is $172 and Apple is $200. I think I will go with the 16GB from Apple. Any reason to go to 32?

Storage

Here is the question.... 1TB Fusion, 3TB Fusion? Crucial 240GB SSD? If the goal is speed and future proofish, then what to choose?

Graphics

GTX780 4GB.... Will this help speed up video and video editing?

SuperDrive

Yea or Nay?

AppleCare

Yea or Nay?

iMac

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 9:33 PM

AppleCare a yea, $169 for 3 years of piece of mind, that's a no brainer. I'd also go with the Fusion drive, the size is totally up to you. The upgraded graphics card will help in the video work. SuperDrive, well you can get any external DVD drive for less so I'd pass.

3 replies

Feb 5, 2014 2:48 PM in response to K J

Skip the NAS because the NAS mfg's don't keep their firmware up-to-date. The ramification is when you do a software update all of a sudden your NAS quits working so you're stuck. IMHO they're a good idea when they work but they always don't work well with OS X. You could buy an Apple Time Capsule which along with a router has a HD installed in it, the HD is designed to work as a Time Machine backup but it could be used as a NAS, in that case it would work fine.

Purchasing my next iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.