Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help understanding photos on the iPad?

It's been a mystery to me for years now since I bought my iPad 2 when it first came out, but whenever I use an app that can import photos there are a few photos that I only thought were on my computer, but there they are, under a few dozen photos from 2008, so well before I bought my iPad. I have no idea how these photos got on my iPad or wherever they are to make them accessible to apps on my iPad, and also I have no idea how to delete them, as they are not photos I wanted on my iPad, or how to make photos available on my iPad so apps can choose them. All of this has taken place without my knowledge or approval, that I am aware of. Maybe someone could explain the ins and outs of how photos get on the iPad and where they are kept and how to control them.

TIA,

Ken

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 16G RAM

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 8:18 PM

THey had to have been synced from your computer to your iPad via iTunes sync. And that's how you remove them from your iPad.

Open iTunes on your computer.

Connect your iPad to your computer via USB cable

When your iPad is recognized on the left side of the iTunes screen, click it once to open it in iTunes

Click on Photos on the right hand side of the iTunes screen

Uncheck the pictures that were synced to your iPad

Click Apply in the lower right hand corner of the iTunes screen

Sync your iPad and the pictures will be gone

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2014 8:18 PM in response to Kenneth Nielsen

THey had to have been synced from your computer to your iPad via iTunes sync. And that's how you remove them from your iPad.

Open iTunes on your computer.

Connect your iPad to your computer via USB cable

When your iPad is recognized on the left side of the iTunes screen, click it once to open it in iTunes

Click on Photos on the right hand side of the iTunes screen

Uncheck the pictures that were synced to your iPad

Click Apply in the lower right hand corner of the iTunes screen

Sync your iPad and the pictures will be gone

Feb 5, 2014 4:07 PM in response to Kenneth Nielsen

You can drag photos to the device listed on the left side of your iTunes screen. Or, you can open the photos tab in iTunes and find them on your computer, via iTunes, check which albums or photos you want to move to your iPad and just like deleting them, click apply in the lower right hand corner of iTunes. Either way, it's pretty simple to transfer or delete photos to and from iPad.

Need help understanding photos on the iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.