Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture slideshow to DVD for TV

As a volunteer for a hospice organization I take a lot of pictures for family members (making memories). I then give the still photos to the family. I would like to move beyond the still photos to a slideshow … DVD (with music background) that can be played on a DVD player on a television. Any suggestions?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 9:18 PM

7 replies

Feb 5, 2014 12:22 AM in response to R021043F2

You can export the slideshow from Aperture as a video, just press the "Export" button in the Slideshow panel and be prepared to wait for a few hours for the export to finish.

User uploaded file

That will save the slideshow to a folder in the Finder. You can play it on a computer.

However, you will need additional software to burn this video to a video DVD to be played in a DVD player. It would be perfect, if you still had iDVD from an older iLIfe installation. But there are also free programs, like "Burn".

See this User Tip: How to create a video-DVD? (Macs without iDVD): Apple Support Communities

And for Background reading: Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac?: Apple Support Communities

Feb 5, 2014 2:26 AM in response to léonie

Leoni - maybe I'm getting to creative with my first attempt. Lets try this. New Imac i7 - bought in Dec. I would like to take 40-60 still photos in Aperture - turn them into a slide show - and put that slideshow on a flash-drive that can be seen as a slidshow on a windows or mac computer. Adding background music would be a big plus. Thanks. Bob

Feb 5, 2014 2:54 AM in response to R021043F2

I would like to take 40-60 still photos in Aperture - turn them into a slide show - and put that slideshow on a flash-drive that can be seen as a slidshow on a windows or mac computer. Adding background music would be a big plus. Thanks. Bob

To play your slideshow on a different computer from a thumbsdrive export a video from Aperture and copy it to your thumbsdrive.

In Aperture:

To share your slideshow as a movie

1. In the top-right corner of the Slideshow Editor, click the Export button.
  2. In the dialog that appears, give the slideshow movie a name in the Save As field, then select a location to save it to.
  3. Choose the viewing platform for your movie from the “Export for” pop-up menu.
  4. If you want to export a slideshow movie in a custom size, choose Custom from the “Export for” pop-up menu, choose a codec from the Codec pop-up menu, enter the number of frames per second in the Frame Rate field, enter the width and height, in pixels, in the Width and Height fields, then choose a compression setting from the Quality pop-up menu.
  5. If you want Aperture to automatically send a copy of the slideshow movie to iTunes, select the “Automatically send slideshow to iTunes” checkbox.
  6. If you want to be notified when the export process is complete, select the “Show alert when finished” checkbox.
  7. Click Export.

Feb 5, 2014 3:36 PM in response to R021043F2

You are welcome. 🙂

Once I get the photos and music loaded on the jump-drive I have NO idea what system (mac, windows, ipad, etc) they will be using to view the photos/music.

Could you ask them? No format will be perfect for all, and it takes a long time to render the video.

You will get the best quality with the HD formats, but for windows systems the setting "Custom" with mpg4 might be better. But as I do not use PCs, I am not sure at all. To be on the safe side, render several versions.

Feb 5, 2014 5:52 PM in response to R021043F2

Apple hs a version of QuickTime for Windows see QuickTime 7.7.4 for Windows - Apple

It would be easiest for you and better all around if you can convince them to install it if they don;t have it installed already. This way you just need to make one version of the slide show.

Also keep in mind that Windows will not read OS X formatted drives so you will need to take that into account.

regards

Aperture slideshow to DVD for TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.