Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash out-of-date?

I'm browsing Youtube on Safari but it reads 'flash out-of-date'. So I go on to download an update and stuff but it still doesn't work after the installation. What's happening? 😟

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 9:52 PM

10 replies

Feb 4, 2014 11:49 PM in response to chowkaying

If you're sure you've installed the latest version of Flash, take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. After each step, relaunch Safari and test. In rare cases, you might have to log out or reboot to force a Flash update to be recognized. For a "missing plug-in" error, start with Step 5.

Step 1

If you're only having trouble with YouTube videos, sign in to your YouTube account and load this page. You may see a link with the text "Leave the HTML5 Trial." If so, click that link.

Step 2

If you're getting a "blocked plug-in" error, then from the menu bar select

 ▹ System Preferences… ▹ Flash Player ▹ Advanced

and click Check Now. Quit and relaunch your browser.

Step 3

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Right-click or control-click the highlighted text and select

Services â–¹ Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open. Delete the following item, or anything with a similar name, if present:

Flash Player (failing).plugin

You may be prompted for your login password.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combinationcommand-C. In the Finder, select

Go â–¹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 4

Re-download and reinstall Flash. Download it from the domain " get.adobe.com". Don't click a link from any other website, including this one, because you can't trust links. They may be an attempt to trick you into installing malware masquerading as Flash. Type the address into the browser window. Never download a Flash update from anywhere else.

Step 5

If you get a " missing plug-in" error, select

Safari â–¹ Preferences... â–¹ Security

from the Safari menu bar and check the box marked

Allow (or Enable) plug-ins

Then click the button marked

Manage Website Settings...

if present and make sure that the website is not blocked for Flash.

Step 6

Select

Safari â–¹ Preferences... â–¹ Extensions

from the Safari menu bar. If any extensions are installed, disable them.

Step 7

In the Safari preference window, select

Privacy â–¹ Remove All Website Data

Close the window. Then select

 ▹ System Preferences… ▹ Flash Player ▹ Advanced

and click Delete All. Close the preference pane.

Feb 5, 2014 11:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc Davis - but all these could'nt solve my case.

But this SOLVED the question

1. Mount the Flash Player installer .dmg file
  2. Copy the "Install Adobe Flash Player" file to desktop or any other directory as preferred
  3. Open terminal and cd to desktop or the other directory
  4. Run the following command on terminal: sudo ./Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Install\ Adobe\ Flash\ Player
  5. Insert the password when asked

SOLVED THIS WAY

Feb 5, 2014 11:57 PM in response to chowkaying

I saw the out-of-date message on YouTube even though checking the Adobe Flash Player plug-in in System Preferences on 10.6.8 showed No New Updates.

However, I went to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to check my version and saw a blocked plug-in message. I downloaded and installed install_flash_player_12_osx.dmg from Adobe. The installer took an unusually long time to complete.

The Adobe About page now shows version 12.0.0.44 installed and YouTube is working.

There is an Adobe Security Bulletin on February 4 for a security update to fix a critical vulnerability at http://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb14-04.html

Possible delays with Adobe's update system are mentioned at http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/02/adobe-pushes-fix-for-flash-zero-day-attack/

Perhaps Adobe pushed out the new version too quickly?

The update is noted by MacRumors at http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/04/adobe-flash-update/

Feb 9, 2014 8:19 AM in response to mike sanders3

Mike - it is very possible that any installed privacy/ad blocker (such as Ghostery) is responsible.

Go to the Adobe download page. Click on any privacy/ad blocker app icon you have that shows what is being blocked. It will probably show that it is blocking a specific Adobe-relevant procedure. If so, temporarily disable it.

Download the Flash update (it takes just a few seconds).

Revert to your privacy/ad blocker app's previous settings.

Hope this helps!

Jan 21, 2016 5:38 AM in response to chowkaying

I was seeing "Flash out of date" in Safari, and this worked for me *** NOTE STEP 4 ***:

Follow instructions on Apple's official site, but add steps 3 thru 8:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202681

To continue viewing Flash content, update to a later version of Adobe Flash Player:

1. Click the Download Flash button. Safari opens the Adobe Flash Player page on the Adobe website.
  2. Follow the instructions on the Adobe website to download and install the latest version of the plug-in.
  3. Un-lock your security settings temporarily
    • Launch pad
    • System Preferences
    • Security & Privacy
    • Click the lock (bottom left) and type your password.
    • Select 'Mac App Store and identified developers'
  4. ***Close Safari
    • Right click on the safari icon in the toolbar (looks like a compass)
    • Select Quit
  5. Click 'Install Adobe Flash'

Flash will now be downloaded

6. Re-lock your security settings
    • Select 'Mac App Store'
    • Click the lock (bottom left). It should now be locked.
  7. Start Safari
  8. Test your page here: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
    • Your flash version will be listed if successful.
    • A nice animation should appear.

Flash out-of-date?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.