Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Authentication Failure (Password Mismatch)

Hi there.

I am having a nightmare trying to get my web server working under Snow Leopard. To cut a long story short the server died and I had to restore it using a disk image before I migrate it to a new mavericks server. For obvious reasons I'd like to get everything working before I migrate.

Whenever a users tries to access a secure page (mainly for svn access) they get rejected. If I try to access the page via safari/chrome I get a pop up window asking for a username and password. If the user enters their correct name and password it is constantly rejected (the name and password work elsewhere for email etc).

In the logs on the server I get:

[Wed Feb 05 16:34:33 2014] [error] [client 192.168.0.56] mod_auth_apple: User XXX authentication failure for "/xxx/xxxxxx": Password mismatch according to checkpw

[Wed Feb 05 16:34:33 2014] [notice] [client 192.168.0.56] mod_auth_apple: Authenticating using lookupd or checkpw failed, and no configured htaccess file (AuthUserFile)

If in Versions I try to refresh the svn repository I get:

OPTIONS of 'https://username@server.name.com/svn/project'://username@server.name.com/svn/project': authorization failed: Could not authenticate to server: rejected Basic challenge (https://server.name.com)

I am also having issues with iCal Server and AFP which makes me think there is some authorisation service which is corrupt/broken?

Any help MOST appreciated 🙂 as I am tearing my hair out here!

Yours,

Nic

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 9:45 PM

1 reply

Feb 6, 2014 9:00 PM in response to Nnooo

Ok something I have worked out by a bit of trial and error.

NEVER run a server with two HDDs both with clones/installs of Mac OS.

My server had the internal (faulty HDD) with the original server install called Macintosh HD. The clone was on a USB drive called SnowLeopardServer_Backup.

Now for the most part the server worked (because most stuff uses Unix and proper paths). However it looks like all of apples stuff (Web services, iCal server and AFP) use the full path or at least components of them do. So because the server was originally set up on an HDD called Macintosh HD I can only suspect that it was freaking out by 1) now being on an HDD called something else and 2) that there was another HDD there called Macintosh HD.

I have now renamed my old HDD to something else and renamed all the OS folders in it to something different too. I also renamed the clone drive to Macintosh HD.

So far I turned on Web services and AFP and they work perfectly 🙂 I have not turned on iCal yet as I want to ensure each service is working before turning on another.

Also finally got the holy grail of Kerberos and Open Directory triangle working. I though that the iCal/Web/AFP not working with accounts was Open Directory related so I backed it up (and WGM), change to standalone and then tried to go back to a Master. It complained about the DNS not being set up and I finally found a post saying that you need to have your DNS set to point at 127.0.0.1 in the System Preferences > Network settings. I changed that and boom no more complaints about bad DNS 🙂

Nic.

Authentication Failure (Password Mismatch)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.