Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening files from an old PC external hard drive on Mac?

Is there a way to make it so that my old PC external harddrive can be opened on mac? I don't want to reformat it because then I would lose all of the data, but I would like to be able to open the pictures inside and maybe even transfer it to another external hard drive that is mac compatible.

If I can't do this then how are old PC users who have converted to Mac dealt with this compatibility problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 10:53 PM

2 replies

Feb 4, 2014 10:57 PM in response to kj8P

Yes, there are apps like PARAGON for NTFS drives

The easy way is to purchase another HD, theyre cheap as dirt

OR offload all that data onto your PC, THEN format the HD for EXFAT so that both PC and Mac and read and write to the HD

recommend against using application route for reading from a "PC" format NTFS ext. HD.

as said HD are cheap as dirt, consider getting another and formatting it for BOTH PC and Mac

Feb 5, 2014 10:16 AM in response to kj8P

> I would like to be able to open the pictures inside and maybe even transfer it to another external hard drive that is mac compatible

OS X will read from (but not write to) an NTFS disk without any special software. Purchase a second external HD. Format it MacOS Extended (jorunaled) and then copy all the data from the NTFS disk to the MacOS disk.

Opening files from an old PC external hard drive on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.