Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent Google from Stealing Mouse/Cursor Focus?

Google and the other search engines have implemented a really annoying feature where the page steals your cursor focus and puts it in their search bar. So my homepage is the Google News site, but as I try to type in the address bar, it suddenly switches to the Google News search bar, and I accidentally type in there. Really Google, you need those extra few hits?

Is there a way to block this in Safari, either in the settings or with a plugin or extension or Greasemonkey script? Also, I've never made an extension before, but I'd be happy to make one to block this if it's easy. In Firefox, you can block that part of the HTML loader by editing prefs:

user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "nofocus");
user_pref("capability.policy.nofocus.sites", "http://www.yahoo.com");
user_pref("capability.policy.nofocus.HTMLInputElement.focus", "noAccess");

But I don't really know how this works...

EDIT: It seems that either my computer with all its mods and extensions or the new Safari itself blocks this. I remember it happening before, though, and others are complaining about it.

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 10:44 PM

2 replies

Mar 28, 2015 2:13 AM in response to WantonDevious

Did you get this fixed? solved

i just find this so annoying too.

I have experienced that too where half of what you type is in the address bar, then the rest is in the bloody google search box.

Trying to connect to my router or any local address is a **** pain when you look up and see that half the address is now in google and it has doena www. search for it !!!gerrree...OK so being a full touch typist is the answer..but ...in all these years I can't hit the right keys if I don't look at the keyboard.

Safari Version 7.1.3 (9537.85.12.18)

Prevent Google from Stealing Mouse/Cursor Focus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.