Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Time Capsule need to be connected via ethernet?

Hello!

I just received my Time Capsule and I am frustrated to see that I MUST connect it to my Netgear ADSL+RouterWiFi via Ethernet.

I read online that the Time Capsule is able to "extend" the wifi network but I am not able to configure it in that way. Via Utility AirPort is impossible: It's the third time I reset it and even if I select "Extend a current wifi network" and using the right SSID and password, but I am not able to access to the Time Capsule at the end of the process. So I think the Time Capsule is not connecting to the ADSL via WiFi. I was thinking it is able to "repeat" the signal but is not. 😟

What Am I doing wrong? The time capsule led is still flashing orange, and I am not able to connect it to the ADSL via Ethernet.

Plz Help me!

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 11:17 AM

As I understand it, an Apple Extreme/Time Capsule/Express will only extend the network of another Apple Extreme/Time Capsule/Express.

If I am correct, that means you must connect via ethernet from your modem to the Time Capsule, and either turn off of the modem's wireless (if you want one SSID) or set a different SSID for the Time Capsule (i.e., run two independent wifi networks simultaneously).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2014 11:17 AM in response to koalalorenzo

As I understand it, an Apple Extreme/Time Capsule/Express will only extend the network of another Apple Extreme/Time Capsule/Express.

If I am correct, that means you must connect via ethernet from your modem to the Time Capsule, and either turn off of the modem's wireless (if you want one SSID) or set a different SSID for the Time Capsule (i.e., run two independent wifi networks simultaneously).

Feb 5, 2014 2:34 PM in response to MHN1

MHN1 wrote:

If I am correct,

You are correct.

You must use ethernet or you must use another apple router plugged in by ethernet to the Netgear modem router and create an Apple wireless network the TC can connect to..

Alternatives like ethernet over power (EOP or Homeplug) are possible but don't always work.

The wireless network can be set to roaming by using the same SSID on both units with same security settings and passwords.

Feb 5, 2014 3:36 PM in response to koalalorenzo

There is another way around the problem.. that is to use a wireless bridge.

Eg the apple express can work in this way.. and only the express. But you can buy a netgear bridge that will be compatible cheaper.. as long as the TC has ethernet to connect to .. then it will work fine.

If the TC is in your room and you are plugging it into a desktop computer.. don't bother .. just get a USB drive which is faster and more stable and less issues and cheaper.

Does Time Capsule need to be connected via ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.