Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Network accounts not available" on login screen

I'm running a PB G4 with OS X 10.4.7. We want to login to network accounts on a OS X Server, which we can do, if we are hard-wired to the network. When I boot hardwired to the network, the status indicator on the login window is green and says "Network accounts available", and network logins work.

When I boot the machine with just wireless, the indicator on the Mac Login screen is red and says "Network Accounts Unavailable". And sure enough, I can't login to the network accounts.

If I then login to any local account on the PB, then logout, the status indicator is green and says "Network accounts available". Then, I can login to the network accounts. Wireless works logged in locally, so it's not like the wireless is messed up. I guess it could be messed up before the local login happens, but how would I diagnosis that!

I'm using Bombich's "Login Window Manager" to provide a delay for the network to catch-up before the login window is displayed. I was seeing this same behavior on the Login Window earlier when hard-wired, before adding the delay.
I've bumped the delay to 2 minutes with no luck.

And ideas why this happens with wireless and suggestions around this problem?

PB G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Aug 4, 2006 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2006 12:12 PM

My only suggestion would be to look in Console.log and system.log.
7 replies

Aug 7, 2006 7:24 AM in response to BDAqua

I've looked at my system logs, and the difference between logging in connected to a wired and wireless network.

I seem to have an issue with keys on the wireless network.

Aug 7 08:46:24 MSM52 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport: SecKeychainItemCopyAttributesAndData() = -25308 (User interaction is not allowed.)
Aug 7 08:46:24 MSM52 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport: SecKeychainItemCopyAttributesAndData() = -25308 (User interaction is not allowed.)
Aug 7 08:51:07 MSM52 /System/Library/CoreServices/mcxd.app/Contents/MacOS/mcxd: DSOpenNode(): dsOpenDirNode("/LDAPv3/10.10.10.23") == -14002
Aug 7 08:51:11 MSM52 kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Active: "mywireless" - 000d54a07d1c - chan 4
Aug 7 08:51:11 MSM52 configd[42]: SecKeychainFindGenericPassword err= -25308 ( =0xffff9d24, secErrStr=User interaction is not allowed. ) (current= mywirelessnet)
Aug 7 08:51:24 MSM52 /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer: TIME-CHECK: NSLXStandardRegisterService took 1.851997 seconds!\n

Since the key piece of information, well in English anyway, seems to be "User interaction not allowed." Any ideas how to resolve this?

I've opened Keychain Access, there does not appear to be anything bad about the entry for my wireless network. As a test, I changed "access control" to be unrestricted, but still no luck.

I then deleted the entry the entry in Keyword Access, and still see the same behavior.

Aug 8, 2006 6:19 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for that advice. I received that same advice from another friend, and I investigated setting up a root account, but it did not help. But, it started me thinking about root not being able to do this and that struck me as odd. So, I decided to grab another machine and start with a fresh install of 10.4, brought it up to 10.4.7, setup LDAP via Directory Access, and "dang" it works. No root account needed. I just used "Migration Assistant" and brought over the rest of the stuff from the original Master, and things seem to be ok.

"Network accounts not available" on login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.