Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Printer connection for beige G3?

Recently a problem arose with a Canon BJC-4550 that had provided me with fine service over the years, and the prognosis for reviving the machine does not look good. Thus I am faced with finding a replacement that would most likely connect to my beige G3 via a SIIG USB card. Not having been in the market for such a printer, I was wondering what experiences the membership of this forum might have had with connecting to a machine that did not posess a native USB connection. Can anyone make any recommendations for me?

Beige G3/266, Bondi iMac 333, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Aug 4, 2006 9:39 AM

8 replies

Aug 4, 2006 11:35 AM in response to Michael Hetes

Hello Michael,

Many like Canon and Epson, but I have had good luck with an H-P psc2110 and (its successor) H-P psc2175, both 3-in-1s. Their strong point is high quality handling of colour prints for a relatively inexpensive machine. Setup is easy from an install CD, though it doesn't always connect smoothly to H-P after the setup is done (unnecessary). Similarly, H-P tech support is not always helpful since their young staff is generally not familiar with OS 9.

But my H-Ps work well for me. I bought the 2110 new, and the 2175 from an eBay "we sell anything that's returned or left over" house (for $15+s&h), and a paper jam is the most trouble I've ever had to contend with.

HTH ..... Jon

Aug 4, 2006 1:24 PM in response to Michael Hetes

Michael,

As for USB printer brands, we've had two. The Epson 820 printed well and supported USB printer sharing, but seems to go through ink cartridges like you-know-what though a goose.

An HP5150 produced even better print quality and is easier on the ink supply, but I've not been able to get it to do USB printer sharing in spite of throwing every trick in the book at the problem. If you do not need to share the printer, I'd vote HP.

Both printer cost us well under US$100.

I find set-up easier if you ignore the CD supplied with the printer and download the latest from the internet. Our Epson was unreliable with the CD drivers, but sprang to life when I downloaded newer drivers from the Epson support site.

Aug 4, 2006 10:28 PM in response to Michael Hetes

Michael,

I tried several printers, and a few years ago I got my first Epson, then the second, then the third.......

I normally have the cartridges replenished as the original ones are a legalised theft..., and only buy originals when the lifespan of the refilled ones has ended.

Another good performer is HP. Last year I got my son one of those all-in-one HP centres (1210, if I am not wrong), and I was stunned by the quality produced by an end-of line, clearance, 90 dollars AUD printer, which also scans and makes copies.

As far as I am concerned, I still use an Epson C84, which produces unbelievable quality if you use the right paper.
I won't change it unless it fails..

cheers

Aug 6, 2006 9:01 PM in response to Michael Hetes

I have an Epson 960 Photo and an HP 3870 Deskjet. Both work from a USB card in my Beige w/o a problem.

The Epson produces superior photo prints, but, as has been already noted, it uses expensive ink cartridges quickly. Epson is currently settling a law suit concerning how their ink cartridges read empty and stop working even though there is still a significant amount of ink remaining in the cartridge. Since they "got caught" I suspect that newer Epson printers and cartridges may last a little longer.

The HP worked fine, but it doesn't produce the photo quality of the Epson.

Aug 8, 2006 7:34 PM in response to Michael Hetes

Michael:
I also have an Epson printer that I bought originally because it had a serial connection. At some point, I bought a USB card and transferred over to using that. Works like a charm both in OS9 and in Panther via XPF. The printer is now well over 6years old and still works great.

I'd highly recommend getting an Epson. I've used a variety of Epson's over the last 15 or so years and they've all been solid work horses.

Here's a website that has both printer and cartridge care tips:
Ink refill

A.

Sep 1, 2006 5:53 AM in response to Admiral

Michael:
I also have an Epson printer that I bought originally
because it had a serial connection. At some point, I
bought a USB card and transferred over to using that.
Works like a charm both in OS9 and in Panther via
XPF. The printer is now well over 6years old and
still works great.

I'd highly recommend getting an Epson.
A.

Me too! Just glancing thro' this forum for tips on upgrades, but I thought I'd add a comment here to confirm what the last post recommended. My experience and set up are v.similar

Power macs G3 B&W + Beige Mac OS X (10.3.9) Sonnett upgrade on beige, USB/Firewire card/Epson 1520

Power macintosh G3 B&W

USB Printer connection for beige G3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.