Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Permissions changed after connecting mac via firewire on Target Disk Mode.

I have connected 2 macbook pros using firewire in target disk mode and the permissions on the destination macbook pro have changed. Now when I try to start the macbook pro, it stays on the grey screen and the apple sign changes to a prohibitory sign, therefore I cant log in.

Please help!

Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 5:57 AM

1 reply

Feb 5, 2014 8:03 AM in response to Ash.K01

I am unable to perform a safe boot, it simply wont happen.

I tried to start from mac osx install disk and that works so I am able to go disk utility, I can run 'verify disk' and 'repair disk' and it shows that everything is ok, however, I cant 'verify disk permissions' or 'repair disk permissions' as both are greyed out because 'the selected disk is not mounted'. I try mounting but that wont work either, I am told to 'disk can not be mounted, run first aid first and then retry'.

Furthermore, I try to perform 'archive and install' so I follow these instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

But on number 7, intead of being able to choose volume to install to, there is nothing I can choose! There is no list. And of course I cant continue.

Any help is appreciated!

Disk Permissions changed after connecting mac via firewire on Target Disk Mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.